Looking for Splitter (<10 cord/pr) - reliable recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadleyfarm

Reaction score
Hi Folks;

I'm looking to pick up a good reliable splitter (<$1,500.00) for use around the farm (<10 cords per). I've so far identified Huskee 27T and Iron Oak 22T - each have relatively same specs. - Huskee has a 5.5 HP Honda & 11 gal tank, Iron has 5.0 hp Honda and 9.5 gal tank. Is there a substantial difference between manufacturers I should know about? Any insight/recommendations would be appreciated.

Nicholas

I have a Northern Tool splitter with an Robin(Isuzu) 5.5 hp engine. That motor is comparable to the Honda commercial engines IMO and is excellent. I'd get one with the faster cycle time. A bigger engine will also take a 4 wedge setup but depends hardwoods or softwoods. It's all about speed for me. I only use the splitter when I have to now because of speed though. I can bust softwood like firs and pines faster with a mall but I have to lift my logs which I hate. To do it again I'd go vert/horizontal or log lift but they are more $. The Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh motors will do also. I run those on tiller and generator they work just fine. I'd probably go with an I/C engine for 10cords/year. If you take care of it it should last a long time. I change the oil often on all my small engines so it looks new on the stick as they are not filtered. I also I like to run Chevron gas because of the additives to keep carbs clean. My 13 year old John Deere rider still runs excellent. My 2c.

You might want to take a look at Timberwolf, also. They make some good quality machines and the smaller ones are in about your price range.

Isnt a whole lot of difference between manufactures. Might even consider renting a unit for less than 10 cords a year if you can get the wood lined up and then just split for 2 days and be done. I think splitters run about $100ish a day here to rent. Of cource there is convience and such to owning the unit.

I had a splitter like BigJake described with a tecumseh that was verticle/horizontal that worked real well. I think it was a 22 ton. After I ran it a little I cut the throttle back to just above idle and it would split almost anything. That did slow down the travel but not enough to matter. But I owned it with my brother-in-law and that was my fault. I Gave him my part. I have since built one that runs off my tractor hydraulics and I really like it. It's mounted horizontal on a cut down trailer but I can pull 4 pins & use it verticle on a 3 pt hitch. I can also use it horizontal upside down off my front-end loader to split heavy logs down to managable sizes. I bypass the valve and use the remote on the tractor in that position.

The only other thing I want is to get about 50 feet of hydraulic hose so when it's on the little trailer the tractor will be so far away I won't hear any noise. There is already a lot less noise with the tractor vs that tecumseh on my old splitter.

That's enough of that. I do think the ver/hor feature is a must. I've never seen one but a foot control valve would work well in the horizontal position. That would leave both hands free so you can mash all your fingers.

Latest posts

Back