Log splitter assistance Hydro problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weel

Reaction score
Hi new to the site, and new to the log splitter that was handed down to me.
It looks to be home built but by someone who knew what they were doing. Here is the problem, The Ram is s-l-o-w.
Dayton model 4Z449 4inch X24 Take about 30+ seconds to fully extend and 30+ more to retract, but other wise no leaks or bent parts. The chain driven pump, not sure if single or dual stage has a tag on it "Rockford illinois c25-1L". Old pump, looks big for the application, a person who knew a little history of the splitter thinks it was off a Dozer or similar. (not verified) Pump does not leak and seems to operate normally.
Unit has a filter on it "Fairey 5R" filter number 974A.2R.S.110.
Valve is of unknown manufacturer, do not see any marking or identifying marks but i will post puctures of all units.

Problem
Unit will start to split a log but about 2 inches in it sounds like the second stage kicks in and pressure builds up. Then i can hear a very loud whining/ squeeling coming fron the control valve then the engine dies. Pressure on gage builds up to about 600lbs and then to zero when engine dies. Looking into engine specs right now but i think its a 8 hp from generac generator. Think engine is way to small for this splitter!

I guess im going to pull hoses off and make sure the are all in working order then check valve assembly. Not sure who has messed with this in the past. Im assuming that filter and fluid will need to be replaced but i dont want to do that until im sure i have found the problem, i was told the oil was just replaced a year ago, maybe from water contamination, no cap on tank, but im going to drain and check tank first. Then the filter for blockage. Looking for some pump and valve assistance, on size and manufacturer. And troubleshooting tips. Im not ready to start throwing parts at it bt i know it will need something

I'm no expert by any means but, it sounds to me like the bypass is opening in the valve.
It's easy enough to tell if you have a two stage pump, does it have two compartments or just one. If just one, that may be your issue.
single stage require a lot more power to make them work properly. Post some pics, there are some guys on here that are very knowledgeable and would be willing to help and offer advice. Good luck.

Yea tried to post pictures but my work blocked large files. i will shrink them and try again.

Nor sure what you mean by two compartments. Im thinking you mean the valve

Back