Looking for thoughts on value of 460 muff mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all:

Picked up an excellent running used 460 a few months back. I've got 25- and 28-inch bars for it with full comp chains. Takes care of bigger hardwood (about 24 inches so far) without a twitch.

I bought this saw for the occasional tree job that's going to be too big for either the 026 I already have or the 036 pro/038 mag I'm looking to buy as well. The 3-saw plan with the 026 (16-inch), 036/038 (20-inch) and 460 (25/28-inch) will handle any job I'm likely to come across, though I may pick up a small arborist saw for limbing off ladders at some point.

So here's the Q.

How much value would there be in a muff mod on the 460? This thing already screams with the 28-inch B&C. I have done a couple muff mods/retunes on smaller saws (290 and 028), and I doubt it would be difficult for the 460. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to muff modding the 460. Maybe a dual port add-on?

In the end, odds are pretty good I'll do the muff mod. I mean, who doesn't want MORE, and FREE power? But I'm looking for some perspectives on how much power gain folks' 460s have gotten after the MM, and if there's a link to a solid 460 muff mod thread/pics, that would be nice as well.

Like Brad said open er up, but don't go beyond the deflector. The farther you go the more exhaust will blow in your face when you've got the saw sideways. You can also cut the deflector off and weld a new one on. I've done it with a stick welder, but you've got to be quick and careful. Otherwise you can braze. Another option is the dual port cover. They might run you $30 from a dealer or less if you can get a decent one on fleabay.

The first 046s came with a much large opening as well as the dual port cover. At least my Dad's did the first month they came out. You can thank the feds for choking them up.

Yeah, it seems like any Stihl with a 0, a 1 or a 2 at the end is ready and willing to come out of a deep sleep with a muff mod. The mod I did on the 028 AV didn't have much impact, while of course the 290 woke right up. Looks like I'll putz with the 460 when I have the time. I'm assuming it's got the limiter caps like the 290 that need pulling (haven't looked yet).

If I go with the dual port, I assume I'll still have to retune.

Interesting. I've been bad. While I am waiting for my 090 cylinder, I bought a blown MS460 on eBay. The guy had taken it to bits, confirmed that the piston is scored, most of the bits look like they are there. He claims the bottom end is good. We'll see. It wasn't particularly expensive: £120 - they are about £650 over here new, so if all it needs is a new jug and piston (which I have on the shelf anyway), then all will be good.

I thought I'd muff-mod it. I've never done one of these before. What percentage of cylinder port should I open it up to?

(I suspect I will be starting a new thread on how the heck you split the case on a 460, but I hope not)

Yep, limiter caps are about the same and any time you open the muff up you should re tune. Good luck and have fun with that saw!

Lots of fun ahead. Just pulled the trigger on a mint 038 Mag, so that'll give me the 026, 038 Mag and 460 Mag. That 72cc 038 has so much grunt I'll probably end up using it for most of the stuff I bought the 460 for, and with the muff mod on the 460 I'll probably end up with a 32-inch B&C on it.

The fun never ends! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey all:

Picked up an excellent running used 460 a few months back. I've got 25- and 28-inch bars for it with full comp chains. Takes care of bigger hardwood (about 24 inches so far) without a twitch.

I bought this saw for the occasional tree job that's going to be too big for either the 026 I already have or the 036 pro/038 mag I'm looking to buy as well. The 3-saw plan with the 026 (16-inch), 036/038 (20-inch) and 460 (25/28-inch) will handle any job I'm likely to come across, though I may pick up a small arborist saw for limbing off ladders at some point.

So here's the Q.

How much value would there be in a muff mod on the 460? This thing already screams with the 28-inch B&C. I have done a couple muff mods/retunes on smaller saws (290 and 028), and I doubt it would be difficult for the 460. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific to muff modding the 460. Maybe a dual port add-on?

In the end, odds are pretty good I'll do the muff mod. I mean, who doesn't want MORE, and FREE power? But I'm looking for some perspectives on how much power gain folks' 460s have gotten after the MM, and if there's a link to a solid 460 muff mod thread/pics, that would be nice as well.
I used a small rotary file and the cable attachment on my dremel to open the 9-10 mm hole up approx the size of the deflector without moving it forward.When you sawin it don't seem much if any louder but didnt seem to increase power much either.The area behind the screen should probablely be opened up as well to see real results.This is what I'm gonna try next anyway if I ever get around to it.
Or just get the dual port cover..

I bought my duel port muffler out of Baileys, but I opened up the inside baffle as well to help it flow. It does make a HUGE difference especially for the price factor. I did have to pull the caps off the adjusters to get the fuel right as well. I think you will be tremendously pleased!! :agree2:

Back