Looking for work again.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$$$$$ of establishing a business

I likely had a opportunity to buy into an established business some months ago, but did not even give it a second thought for a variety of reasons, the prime one being I am 43 years old and like an old dog, it is difficult to learn new tricks.

I saw what happens to underfunded businesses at the first place I worked at, mind you the owner did not like to tinker on machinery and did not want to climb anymore. Competant climbers and certified arborists are scarcer than hen's teeth around here, so who is going to do the work, especially at heights.

I need $6000 repairs on my truck to make it roadworthy, and even then it is a 94 with over 140K miles on it. I have no place to park a chipper, and I would not think of beginning in this business without a small one. I own two saws, both non commercial/professional models, one of which is in pieces.

Then there is the cost of insurance, telelphones, stationary, email etc etc etc.

Anyhow I would rather work for someone else at present rather than deal with the stress of being yet another small business owner hanging on by a thread and a prayer.

I prefer to hang onto a 12 - 16 Strand than a thread. :D

Goodgrief! whats wrong with your Truck that requires 6000.00 to make it run????

I agree, Jumper. I figured out a couple years ago that I HATED running my own business. And every good climber that has started his own business spends 95% of his time running that business and maybe 5% climbing. I LIKE climbing, and if I started up my own show again I would hardly EVER get to climb. I'd be too busy running a business, and I dislike running a business.

Originally posted by Jumper
Asplundh and Davie come to mind, though the former appear to be more butchers than tree guys.

True enough , I work for Davey . Most of our employee's can't trim because there is nobody to teach them among many other reasons . That is why I am working with a private company on the weekends . Expand my mind and my body will follow

Goodgrief! whats wrong with your Truck that requires 6000.00 to make it run????

New Clutch and hydraulics $1600
Major Brake Work all four $800
Front End and 4 Shocks $1000
New Rad $300
New P/S Pump $400
New Windshield $250
Emissions $200
Electrical Gremlins who knows
Heater/A/C woes $500
Battery $100
New Exhaust All Round $500
That is for starters!