Looking to get a bigger grinder in the future and need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontbthatguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Business is great so far and I enjoy grinding stumps as my side job. I currently run a Rayco 1625 with a green wheel on it. I love the new wheel so far, only 6 teeth to change, and my machine runs smooth.

But it's only a matter of time that that machine calls it quits, and when it happens I'm either putting a 35hp motor on it, or going diesel. The 35 is obviously cheaper, but if business keeps up and I keep growing, I think the jump to diesel will be needed.

Guys that have gone diesel after having a small grinder, what advice do you have? Anything you with you knew?

I would like to get a Carlton 7015 or 4012, but am open to anything.

Right now a 3 foot maple takes me about 30 to 45 min to grind give or take going 4-6 inches deep. Will a diesel grind that much faster to make the 30,000 price tag worth it?

Seems like my operating costs might increase as well with more teeth, seems like hitting a rock with all that power could knock a bunch of teeth out in one shot.

Lastly, anyone know a good source for used equipment? I check eBay, and craigslist often but there isn't much on there.

Thanks in advance. This community helped me immensely getting my business off the ground.

A Carlton 4012, with the 44Hp diesel, would be a nice step up. It can handle about any size stump in a very reasonable amount of time. I have had mine now for 3 years. Last Sat., I did the largest stump I have ever ground out. It was a 7' diameter cottonwood, with 8 large roots, each about 12' long on the surface. My 4012, with the Sandvic wheel, made short work of this monster. I completed the job in 1.5 hours. Grinding would have gone faster, but I had to stop a lot to shovel chips out of the way so I could see what I was doing.
I also started with a 1625 Super Jr. It was a good dependable machine, but nothing compared to this 4012.
For used machines, try Alexander Equipment, in Illinois. Also, try Global Equipment Exporters, in Georgia. both usually have a selection of used 4012 or 7015 machines.
Jeff

Awesome thanks for the reply jeff. I find with my 1625 I am wrenching on it a lot. Did the maintenance get easier when you went to the diesel because it is more durable?

Also, If you could have, would you have gone bigger?

I actually went from the 1625, up to a used Bandit, tracked 2900T,(80HP+-). Then, to a brand new 7015TRX,(60HP+-). I was doing a lot of landclearing then. I semiretired, sold the big 7015, and downsized to the 4012. I do not miss the big HP of the two tracked machines I owned, at all. The 4012 is a good all purpose machine. Fits anywhere, grinds fast, does very little damage to lawns, and is easy to haul around.
I have found that the big machines seem to require somewhat less repairs. I think the hard grinding jobs do not beat them to pieces, like it does the smaller, lighter machines. The diesel engines are way more troublefree, than your typical Kohler or B&S air-cooled engine.
Jeff

I upgraded from a Carlton 2500-4 with Green Teeth to a 2008 4012 33hp Kobota[420hrs] last year.It also has wireless remote,Sandvic wheel,all wheel drive and a push blade.It's twice as fast as the old Carlton,and i love the remote.The diesel has a lot of torque.

I upgraded from a Carlton 2500-4 with Green Teeth to a 2008 4012 33hp Kobota[420hrs] last year.It also has wireless remote,Sandvic wheel,all wheel drive and a push blade.It's twice as fast as the old Carlton,and i love the remote.The diesel has a lot of torque.
I actually went from the 1625, up to a used Bandit, tracked 2900T,(80HP+-). Then, to a brand new 7015TRX,(60HP+-). I was doing a lot of landclearing then. I semiretired, sold the big 7015, and downsized to the 4012. I do not miss the big HP of the two tracked machines I owned, at all. The 4012 is a good all purpose machine. Fits anywhere, grinds fast, does very little damage to lawns, and is easy to haul around.
I have found that the big machines seem to require somewhat less repairs. I think the hard grinding jobs do not beat them to pieces, like it does the smaller, lighter machines. The diesel engines are way more troublefree, than your typical Kohler or B&S air-cooled engine.
Jeff

A year ago when I went from a 252 to a 4012 with a 44 I thought grinding might be a pleasure. It's not quite the big step up I thought it would be. If I could go back I would just keep sharp teeth on the 252 or spend more and get the 7012.

This post from another thread made me pensive, as I'm in a similar situation...

This post from another thread made me pensive, as I'm in a similar situation...

I agree which is why I am trying to get the most feedback. I watch a lot of youtube videos and in all of the the SC60 seems to kick ass. But in one of the threads there, there are nothing but complaints. Also I have done countless jobs that require maneuvering, and climbing hillsides going over stepped walkways etc that tracked machine wouldn't be able to do ( I think.)

I want more power for sure, My 1625 with a green wheel gets it done no doubt, but I find myself getting a lot of 3' plus stumps that take an hour, hour and a half to grind going about 4 inches below grade. Grinding these large stumps wouldn't be such chore with a larger machine. Also I am always doing something to my 1625. It seems like a smaller machine just wasn't meant to do work all day. I feel like it gets tired after running for an hour, even if my teeth are sharp. Plus there aren't too many people with 1000+ hours on gas engines on a stumper, so with me putting 50 plus hours a month on mine, I am anticipating having to put a new engine on my machine within 2-3 years.

So many different factors, because as I take a breath after writing all that I remember that I don't owe any money on my small machine and have no monthly payments.

Wondering which direction you took dbtg.

Any stump 3ft dia that is done 4" deep and takes 1 to 1 1/2 hrs is unheard of with the SP4012 and probably any other grinder (lol) unless it's 4ft high and yr chainsaws broke.

An average 3ft dia. stump, hardwood Eucalypt, no above ground roots to chase, ground 10" deep - say 15 minutes running the 21mm dia Greenteeth cutters on the standard
Carlton cutter wheel. I would cut any stump over 9" high off with the chainsaw, no money in grinding extra wood it you can cut if off.

Chip retention on the SP4012 would have to be better than the SC60 I just found grinding on Utube. The SC60 wing fitting would soon lose it shine too I'm telling you, I didn't like it at all.

I normally go about 10" deep as the site will rehabilitate better in the longer term, ie more soil in that spot allowing grass to get going better.

Your 50hrs/month on the machine is keeping you quite busy when travel and clean up times are included, a diesel remote SP4012 will at least halve that from the info. you posted.

In the last 12 months I saw (at Global Equip Exp) online a tidy low hour diesel SP4012 (pretty sure 33hp) on a neat tandem trailer for US$21,000, thought then
it was a steal.

Get the cordless remote, brilliant, safe and only way to go. Get a blade if able.

Lastly - Mowingman and others talk a lot of sense on this thread. :)

Back