looking to try climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adrpk, I started reading your thread and I noticed you said something like, "once i get some rope I'll start practicing knots." I practice knots all the time. I carry a two foot piece of 1/4" clothesline (cotton braid over felt core) I practice knots all the time, at red lights, at meetings, while watching crap on TV. An anchor knot against an index finger, bowlines, running bowlines, blake's hitch, prusik, tautline, sheet bend, square knots, figure eights, double overhand, single and double fisherman's knots to make loops, cats paw, triple crown knot, butterfly, slip, figure eight on bight, etc. I think tree climber's companion mentioned this first and I have been doing it since. Keeps your hands nimble. it doesn't take long for you to be bale to do it without watching your hands.

Another book to read would be "Fundamentals of General Tree Work".

I use a shoestring at my desk and use the key ring as a t.i.p. I do have, "Fundamentals of General Tree Work" and find it a wise buy. I use a basic method of climbing and what to keep it that way for a while. I try to keep it simple for now as I don't get a lot of chances to get in a tree, although I try. I have plenty of time before I need to use rigging knots. But I have heard before that to be able to knots blindfolded is a good idea. I think I can do a couple now, blakes hitch, figure eight, double fishermans. In the meantime watch where your driving. :biggrinbounce2:

Finally got the splicing kit. I am not sure if this is right but here it is. It's tight and seems as it would hold.

lanyard003.jpg

lanyard002.jpg

I would hang from it.

Looks like you may have as many as 9 tucks in that puppy--about 5 more than you need. But it it looks clean, you flattened the strands before tucking, and it will NEVER break or pull apart!

That Tree Master is tough going. If you can splice that, you can splice anything.

Excellent, I really thought I had a problem on the top of the splice. I enjoyed doing it. Great pastime when you have time to sit.

I am looking at another piece of rope, trueblue to be exact. Thinking of using the false crotch, srt technique. Might be a while, haven't been on a rope since the rec climb. Waiting for my cambium saver, which I left behind, to be mailed back.
In a bit of a bind with cash right now. But when I get some cash and I have some climbing time in the bag that is where I am thinking of going with it. What do you think of 'trueblue', anybody?

graditude

Thanks guys, looks like I am no longer "looking to try climbing". I am up a tree.
I got my lanyard spliced up and using it to do all sorts of things. I got two 150' ropes and a bunch or other gear. I have learned a lot on this thread and want to thank all that participated.
I have a new appreciation for you arborist (tree climbers). And I can appreciate my line of work (landscaping) even more now. I appreciate making money from the ground and not having to climb up a tree first to do it. More power to you fellows out there doing that stuff every day.
I will continue to enjoy climbing for years now learning more as I go. I got to see the rooftops at the back of my shop today for the first time. It's exciting. My landlord and I get along pretty well and have gotten into a few projects in the past. He is not having any problems with me trimming dead branches out of his huge red oak in the back yard. It is a great practice tree. Challenging yet safe in that it is an oak with a lot of branches to climb around in once I get in it.
I will keep it basic, still using the blakes hitch and not looking to buy ascenders or anything too fancy. Need to keep practicing knots, still referring to the climbers companion. One of these days I will do the job which got me thinking about climbing in the first place and get up some trees at my wood lot upstate.
Anyway, AS has come through again and helped someone reach a seemingly imposable goal, as easily as clicking a mouse (and of course burning some calories). Here's to you guys, climb safe. Bob

YEAH! Glad to hear you are having fun and challenging yourself. I have been on this site for only a short amount of time and have gained so much practical insite from the "veteran" climbers. Their advice,warnings, and recommendations have helped me improve the quality of my work through more efficient climbing, given me different methods and techniques to grow my skills, and encouraged me to keep a level of excellence in all aspects of treecare. With that said, I too would like to add my "Thank You" to all of you for your words of wisdom ( and humour!)

First attempt at an eye splice.

eye-splice.jpg

I'm new to this tree climbing stuff, but am VERY interested... so i've read every post in this thread so far.

But here is my question, what is the advantage to splicing the rope to create a closed loop rather than doing a retraced figure 8 or an overhand on a bite?
One would assume that perhaps eliminating the bends in the rope to create a stronger "knot" would be the reason... but it seems hardly necessary.
I come from a rock climbing background... so please excuse my ignorance, but i am genuinely curious in the benefits of this method.

Thanks!

But here is my question, what is the advantage to splicing the rope to create a closed loop rather than doing a retraced figure 8 or an overhand on a bite?
One would assume that perhaps eliminating the bends in the rope to create a stronger "knot" would be the reason... but it seems hardly necessary.

Thanks!

You are right--strength isn't the issue. Convenience and lack of bulk are the main advantages of the splice. When you are maneuvering through thick branches the less crap hanging off your belt the better. And when you are trying to clip or unclip your safety or climbing rope, big knots just clog up the works.

Incidentally, one of the main differences between the two worlds of rope work is that for rock climbers it is mainly just protection whereas for us it is the major tool for getting up and moving around. Our weight is on the rope almost anytime it is in use. And we don't fall on our ropes--that could be deadly.

You are right--strength isn't the issue. Convenience and lack of bulk are the main advantages of the splice. When you are maneuvering through thick branches the less crap hanging off your belt the better. And when you are trying to clip or unclip your safety or climbing rope, big knots just clog up the works.

Incidentally, one of the main differences between the two worlds of rope work is that for rock climbers it is mainly just protection whereas for us it is the major tool for getting up and moving around. Our weight is on the rope almost anytime it is in use. And we don't fall on our ropes--that could be deadly.

Thank you! Very concise and helpful explanation. I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back