Looks awful, feels great. 272 piston question (Black is the new orange!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up today for a reasonable price, someone thought spray painting it black would make it faster? it starts and runs pretty well, I have not seen that style of air filter before on another 272. I don't really want to put time and money into it, would you consider running it with that piston?IMG_3356.jpegIMG_3357.jpegIMG_3353.jpegIMG_3354.jpegIMG_3355.jpegIMG_3358.jpegIMG_3359.jpeg

Its an ugly ducking- clean the muck out of it that is bound to be packed around the coil and run it.
To me, looks like the piston got hot PTO side of the exhaust port at some stage- but if the ring is free and compression okay- I would run it at this stage (for a personal saw- not for cleaning and flipping) until the top needs to come off.
My early 272 has the same filter set up- as above- borrowed from the 268 platform and pre HD.

I know you don’t wanna put much time into that saw but if it were mine I’d pull the cylinder and inspect. First picture of piston doesn’t look good. You mite get away with running 40:1 and tuning it a touch on the rich side, hard to say though.

I know you don’t wanna put much time into that saw but if it were mine I’d pull the cylinder and inspect. First picture of piston doesn’t look good. You mite get away with running 40:1 and tuning it a touch on the rich side, hard to say though.
Any saw that old and looking like that gets a full tear down for me :p

Back