Loopie out of nylon webbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Reading the Color Coding Slings thread made me think of something. Can you make a loopie or whoopie with hollow tubular nylon webbing? Take, say, an 8' piece of 1" tubing, make a slit (parallel to the length, I would think) 8" from one end (to give an 8" handle), and another slit 24" further. Thread the other end of the tubing in the first and out the second slit.

Would this work, or is the nylon too slippery? Would the slits weaken it too much?

Just wondering.

-Kevin

Yes, you would cut too many fibers in the weave to make it usable.

A hollow braid loopie/whoopei does not cut any fibers at all. They are easy to make, all you need really is a coat hanger for a fid.

Yeah, I wouldn't reccomend cutting the webbing. That being said, I've done eye splices in 1" nylon tubular webbing. They were locking brummels. I carried out the splice in the same way a person would splice yalex. I used an awl to put a hole into the webbing, then put a small hollow fid in there, and used that to pry in my Swedish fid. Eventually I opened the holes enough that I could carry out the entire splice. I still have a couple of them around. I should get those tested, too.

love
nick

ps- I wouldn't be surprised if these splices beat a figure eight on a bight in a contest, but I am not endorsing that a person should try this or trust their life (or anything else) to this. (cya)

Also, because it's woven so tightly, and has so little stretch, I doubt there'd be much "chinese finger trap" action to keep the thing from slipping....but I guess you don't know unless you try!

love
nick

Sounds like purty good analysis; though in some ways perhaps a beer knot would do for longer setting once placed situations; but not repeated/quick applications. i use the 1" CMI slings/flat rope a lot. If i need one adjusted tight to the wood etc.; i'll go for a timber hitch made with the sling; finishing with the free end loop placed over the carabiner. Failing that, another carabiner placed in open end of sling (after making loose braid of timber hitch) then that carabiner fixed to/or over the main carabiner, a branch or just trusted as a 'stopper knot'.

i see the timber hitch as a loose braided eye, that has strength, won't sieze; so i just plot the knot's security componenet for the situation and find myself well covered.

Kevin,

I recently made a bungee chainsaw lanyard w/ 1" tube webbing and stuffed a piece of 3/4" elastic inside. It was a REALLY tight fit. I dont think your 1" would fit very nice inside itself and therefore make it cumbersom.

As for loss of strength, the 1" CMI uses is rated at 4,000#. As long as you weren't doing major rigging, I think it would hold.

Personnally, I have about 5-6 slings of different sizes in my bag. Each length is a different color so that it makes them easy to recognize wich is which.

It's no problem fitting one inch webbing inside itself. It folds up/compresses nicely.

love
nick

But hollow braid is so cheap and easy to use it is not worth piddling around with web tube.

I keep a bucket of 3/8 inch Tenex in my truck in case i need to make something I dont have. I needed a long balancer once, made it 30 ft long. That was a little over kill.

It is yellow, so i use it for cordon rope to to block off walks and drives too.

Latest posts

Back