Lopi Freedom Bay fireplace insert problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowerskd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Lopi Freedom Bay fireplace insert, and it is not heating the house like it should. The wood is seasoned, mainly maple. The fan that blows air our the top of the unit is not blowing very much air out, and it just seems to not be working as good as it should be.
Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? I can get a good fire going but just does not put out the heat that is should - in my opinion.

I also have a Buck stove and it puts out 4 times the heat that the Lopi does.

What I have done so far:

Cleaned the fan out so it is working properly.
Called the manufacture and they could not figure out anything wrong with it.
Did the dollar bill test - ie. made sure the door is sealed properly.

Thanks,

Kyle

What's the surface temp of the stove on the face of the steel above the door? If you don't have a thermometer on it how is anyone else to guess what temperatures your getting in the first place? One can't expect maple to provide the heat say oak, locust etc. will.

Alot of people question why their stove insert "heats" so much less than a comparable freestanding stove. It's essentially installed into a giant heat sink, not much you can do about it other than keep your operating temps high to get the heat you want from it.

You have a fantastic insert, if it's installed correctly to an insulated liner and your using good seasoned hardwood it should provide plenty of heat unless the sq' it's trying to heat is enormous.

I have noticed that the air flow designed is very poorly engineered. The fan is supposed to blow air around the unit, but a lot of the air does not make it up the back wall and then back out the front. It just comes right back out the front of the unit. The air inlet on the fireplace is much bigger than the fan outlet.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

My Freedom Bay puts out lots of heat and has been working flawlessly for the five years I've had it. I can't say what's wrong with yours but I'll tell you how I run mine. Initial fire is loose stacked kindling and small splits centered in the fire box, probably 60% of the total possible volume. After 15-20 minutes I'll close the damper. I usually let that initial load burn fast and hot with little or no restriction on incoming air. Stove top temps may reach 500 or 600 for this load. Once that initial load has burned down to mostly coals I'll pack the stove full with N/S splits (front to back). That will be roaring after 10 or 15 minutes, then I'll close the damper and usually restrict the airflow almost to the maximum. The secondary burn tubes at that point will be shooting out jets of flame that last a couple of hours or more.

There are many things that could be going on with your setup. Your wood may not be fully seasoned, or maybe your draft isn't strong enough. You've probably got the controls figured out but just to make sure; inlet air control (bottom center) provides max air when pushed all the way in and vice versa. Flu control (top center) allows gasses to escape at back of the stove when pulled out. When pushed in it forces air to circulate forward before exiting.

There are many things that could be going on with your setup. Your wood may not be fully seasoned, or maybe your draft isn't strong enough. You've probably got the controls figured out but just to make sure; inlet air control (bottom center) provides max air when pushed all the way in and vice versa. Flu control (top center) allows gasses to escape at back of the stove when pulled out. When pushed in it forces air to circulate forward before exiting.

Do you feel that the air flow out of the top of the unit is very good? The air flow to me seems to be very low. I know the fan is working properly as i have taken it off and felt the amount of air it pushes. It is just much different than what comes out of the upper air outlets.

Thanks

The airflow seems fine to me, but it is interesting that they designed it to push air out the back of the stove. I wonder if there's some purpose to that or if it's just a design flaw.

Your not giving enough information to answer all your questions.
1 How old is the stove? Are you the original owner?
2 Who installed it? (did they breakout any of the knock outs?)
3 How hot does the stove get? 500 or better
4 Is the fan/blower the original one? Is it the correct fan for this stove? is it variable or hi/lo?
5 How dry is your wood? How long has it been cut split and stacked? Do you have a moisture meter? Does it sizzel when trying to catch fire?

On my Avalon, sister company to Lopi, the fan definitely does seems stronger when not connected to the stove. This is because it is coming out of the small outlet on the fan 3/4" x 3.5", compared to a 3/4" x 24" opening on the top of the stove. Making 2 90 degree bends also slows down the velocity of the air.

My stove puts out a lot of heat. With a stove top temp of 500 or more I don't like to stand in front of the stove because its too hot.

I don't know the design of the Freedom but I do own the Revere.
The Revere blowers are located at the front bottom of the insert sucking cool air in from ground level and passing it through the bottom and blowing hot air out through the top and the sides of the insert.
If this is the case, you need to remove the blower unit before or after each burning season and blast the dust out with compressed air. Due to it's location, it sucks in a bunch of ashes that drops off from the opening and closing the door and also sucking in the debris from handling your firewood. It is amazing how much crap gets clogged in that blower unit.
You will also need to stick the skinny end of a vaccuum cleaner and suck out the dust underneath the insert.
Good luck

Your not giving enough information to answer all your questions.
1 How old is the stove? Are you the original owner?
2 Who installed it? (did they breakout any of the knock outs?)
3 How hot does the stove get? 500 or better
4 Is the fan/blower the original one? Is it the correct fan for this stove? is it variable or hi/lo?
5 How dry is your wood? How long has it been cut split and stacked? Do you have a moisture meter? Does it sizzel when trying to catch fire?

On my Avalon, sister company to Lopi, the fan definitely does seems stronger when not connected to the stove. This is because it is coming out of the small outlet on the fan 3/4" x 3.5", compared to a 3/4" x 24" opening on the top of the stove. Making 2 90 degree bends also slows down the velocity of the air.

My stove puts out a lot of heat. With a stove top temp of 500 or more I don't like to stand in front of the stove because its too hot.

Sorry about the delay the notifications were going to my spam box in gmail.

Oh boy here we go:

1. No idea. It does look in very good condition though.
2. No idea what the breakouts are. Did not see these listed in the user manual. Side note here, I have called a few places to come out and look at it and they want a full install price of like 500 bucks to take a look at it. So if someone knows anyone in the Seattle area that would like to come look at it for a decent price I would appreciate that.
3. I don't know so it looks like I need to get a thermometer for the firepalce. Anyone know a good place to get that?
4. Fan seems to operating fine, lots of air movement.
5. Wood is good.

Any stove shop will have a magnetic thermometer. They are convenient but a lot less accurate than an IR handheld.

Do you have the metal surround for the face? Mine was originally installed without one....it was out of stock. It does a great job of limiting the air from coming out anywhere but across the top.

If the wood burns hot inside the stove, then the stove should be hot.
I really don't get it? Does it ever burn full blast where the after burner tubes shoot out flames?
Go to Lopistoves.com and visit your nearest Lopi dealer.
I believe their is one in Tukwilla. Good luck.

My Freedom heats 2,000 sq ft with no problem. It will keep it a 60 degree differential if needed, with seasoned red oak.

Latest posts

Back