Lost Top of Pine to Snowstorm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
While I am sure it would be helpful to have a picture on here, I currently don't have them means. However, this description should sum it up I think. We recently had a heavy wet snow that stuck to all of the trees. In my yard is what I would call a scrawny pine (I believe it is an Austrian Pine). It is about 20 feet tall but the branches are not thick and you can see right through it. I believe it is due to the lack of direct sunlight since we have a couple of large Silver Maples and Locusts around it. Otherwise, it appears in decent condition, just not dense.

Anyway, the snow ended up breaking off the top of the tree which was basically about 2 1/2 feet of straight trunk. I am assuming the tree can no longer grow vertically now as the single leader has been broken off. Will the tree survive and will this actually help it to spur growth horizontally (and fill in) since it can not grow up any more? Thanks.

leader

The top row of branches is now in a selection process as to which one(s) will become the new leader(s).
The tree will most probable survive. Very small chance that insect or disease will take advantage of that opening and slaughter its life force quickly.
Over time, there is a good chance that a new leader will straighten out a bit, but rot will start from the top down.
This wasn't in the last Disney movie you saw was it? Life goes on.
You could consider letting it be for a year, then an up or down vote, (arborist humor). If down, ask for a shade tolerant species. Many trees were actually meant to grow or at least get their start in the shade of others.

<The top row of branches is now in a selection process as to which one(s) will become the new leader(s)>

The reason I have a hard time seeing any of these branches becoming the new leader is because they grow basically at a 90 degree angle from the trunk so it would be quite interesting to see one of them turn straight upwards from their current nearly horizontal growth.

I have successfully started new leaders in spruce trees in similar circumstances. A piece of stiff wire wrapped around trunk, selected top branch bent up vertically and held in place by further wrapping the wire around it. Remove the wire the next season. May also have to do some judicious removal of other branches in the next season if more than one top is starting. If possible, a slant cut on the broken stem will allow healing. I don't know about scotch pine.

Harry K

Austrian pine = pinus cembra
Scotch pine = pinus sylvestris
Completely different subfamilies.
As I understand, the top in length about some 3-5 years growth increment was lost. In such situation the all branches from the last presisted brances bundle will try to grow up and as they have plenty of space, probably, all they will remain for a long period alive. The tree will lost its shape regularity, but with the repeated selective pruning of the new leaders through several years the shape can be corrected somewhat, but not completely. The new leader comparable with its growing characteristics with the original leader (pines) can be formed from shoots what are in distance max 1-2 years growing increments from the main trunk. The bending of the one branch up and fixing of it on that position will help to the single leader formation and is good.

You might not believe it, but as smokechaseII says, the uppermost whorl of branches is now going to compete to become the new leader of the tree. It will make for a tree of poor form with the possibility of infection through the broken top, but the tree should survive. It will not cause it to become more bushy. The reason it looks so scrawny is because it is a pine, and virtually all pines are only moderately shade tolerant. They are normally pioneer species that require lots of sunlight to do well. I suspect you will be unhappy with the form of the tree, so you should consider your alternatives to replace it for when or if you decide to cut this one down and replant. For that site, a more shade tolerant species is a better choice.

Agree with all the above, except that the effect will be toward bushiness, given the hormonal shift from losing leader. Not enough to notice much tho, if it is shaded by maples. Alternatives seem to be to prune maples to get light on pine or replace pine. Given maples' vigor, replacing the pine may give you the most longterm satisfaction.

Yes a picture would help a lot.

Back