love burning hickory!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfanboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Burned all the white ash and maple. So went to the apartment complex my dad manages. When they have trees cut the just pile nice 10 foot logs up by his office. Only thing not rotted was hickory thats been there 4 years. It was hell to cut being so dead but it burns so nice. Puts off nice heat and love the smell! 3tuck loads off it. Just wish I had more. Did I mention I cut them with a little
Stock ms170 so how rotten it to far to burn? Have alot of stuff thats punchy on the outside but hard good wood after about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in. Should I be burning that?

Attachments

• 20140226_115939.jpg
    20140226_115939.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20140226_143829.jpg
    20140226_143829.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20140228_092703.jpg
    20140228_092703.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 100
If all I could burn was hickory and white oak, what a happy boy I would be. Love the stuff. But hate to cut it up. It takes so long to grow to any size.

Burned all the white ash and maple. So went to the apartment complex my dad manages. When they have trees cut the just pile nice 10 foot logs up by his office. Only thing not rotted was hickory thats been there 4 years. It was hell to cut being so dead but it burns so nice. Puts off nice heat and love the smell! 3tuck loads off it. Just wish I had more. Did I mention I cut them with a little
Stock ms170 so how rotten it to far to burn? Have alot of stuff thats punchy on the outside but hard good wood after about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in. Should I be burning that?

If it isn't sopping wet..;)

One picky customer, eh- a little poo outside my hickory logs. :eek: Where can I pick it up?

[quohick
One picky customer, eh- a little poo outside my hickory logs. :eek: Where can I pick it up?

TYank, post: 4717688, member: 53405"]One picky customer, eh- a little poo outside my hickory logs. :eek: Where can I pick it up?[/quote]
The hickory wasnt. The stuff around it thats been down for 5 or 6 years is. Frist year with a burner so not sure if it would aaffect it or not.

scaly bark Hickory is my favorite wood in the world. If Hedge grew around here it might take over, but I have never even seen a hedge tree.

I got a nice load of Shagbark Hickory a few years ago. It was full of carpenter ants, but all that infested stuff went into the fire pit immediately and darn near ruined the blocks surrounding it and melted the heavy grate I have at the bottom of it. The stuff I was able to salvage and burn inside would get so hot I had to move the furniture back in the room and keep the fires smaller so we could enjoy it. I'd take more if I could ever get it, even if it were buggy too!

I meant shagbark hickory, don't know where I came up with scaly bark.... maybe it fits

I had to burn it with caution when I had an indoor furnace, but with the owb I don't worry about it, it shuts off so tight I have seen cardboard quit burning until the fan kicks back on.

I'd MUCH rather throw the shagbark up on my mill,

standard.jpg

and mill it into GREAT lumber,

standard.jpg

I can always firewood the tops/slabs and do something BETTER than burning, to the logs.

SR

I'm splitting and stacking a lot of old rounds that are punky. Just knock off the real loose stuff, stack the rest, it dries well and actually burns better than fresh cut split and stacked. Those little air holes and channels get it going *good*. A little messier, but meh.
I've always wondered about those little air holes & channels too?????:dizzy:

I'd MUCH rather throw the shagbark up on my mill,

and mill it into GREAT lumber,

I can always firewood the tops/slabs and do something BETTER than burning, to the logs.

SR

That's quite nice, if you can afford it and have the space and a use for it or a ready market. Really, that's a cool set up! I know I can't do that though, so firewood it is. Can't move big logs at all, can't afford a mill, already have stacks of old lumber to pick from for personal projects. And the market is saturated around here, must be dozens of guys trying to sell their home made lumber.

A vertical integration would be tops, but then you need to either already be in construction, or have a shop and do like custom furniture or something.

scaly bark Hickory is my favorite wood in the world. If Hedge grew around here it might take over, but I have never even seen a hedge tree.
Me too!! But it's all gone around here. Used for tool handles and firewood over the years. Only left is a few trees in the Town park my relative gave to the Town of Plymouth back in the 1800's! Love the stuff though! Burned it in Ohio though!

I have been cutting alot of big hickory to sell. I sold a cord of green split stuff last fall to a guy that wanted to use it in a smoker. It must be a big smoker.. it sucks cutting it. When the bark fly ' s off and hits you in the face it hurts. I need to get a face shield I guess. The big ones seem to be hollow in ares rotten and full of ants unfortunately.

I have about 90 acres of woods on my place and a lot of my trees are hickory but mostly the smooth bark variety.
I like hickory so much when we built out house last year we used hickory hardwood flooring. I may be partial but I think it is one of the best looking floors I have seen.

Said many times - I have a mix of good hardwoods here and shag bark hickory is my ABSOLUTE favorite. Last time I saved some for a cold-snap it d-near melted the top off my stove vs. oak etc. I also use a smoker for BBQ & just like pavlov's dogs, I also start drooling every time it's in the stove.

Now I know what fired the fire dogs in the fire place. One broke in half and in inspecting it to see why, the iron was cooked. I looked like the bed of a dried lake. A real mess.

Latest posts

Back