Low Sulphur Diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, but I can tell you that I am not getting the fuel mileage that I was before the low sulphur:chainsaw: My equipment doesn't seem to have quite the power either:jawdrop:

Yep, bean squeezings. Or B 95 what ever you want to call it. Just keep an extra filter or two when you first start running it is a good laxative for the fuel system.

We've used it on quite a few of aour big generators (Cummins N14, M11, K19, Qsk 45's, etc)

The power is less, they won't pull the same load, and the fuel is dirtier. Keep an extra set of fuel filters around.....

Freakingstang said:
We've used it on quite a few of aour big generators (Cummins N14, M11, K19, Qsk 45's, etc)

The power is less, they won't pull the same load, and the fuel is dirtier. Keep an extra set of fuel filters around.....

How much, the 5%? I've heard of problems running over 50% with low power but not many with just 5.

Holy crap a N14 on a gen! Man that is some power!

Hmmmmmmm anyone done any research on the addative matter? The diesel forums are buzzing about the fact that the low sulfur diesel will eat you pre 2007 injector pumps Without an addative.

Will S15 (ULSD) affect my fuel system seals?

The "Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance," an industry group consisting of oil and gas producers, engine manufacturers, the American Petroleum Institute (API) and others, states that "engine and vehicle manufacturers are not anticipating that existing [diesel engine] owners will have to make changes to their equipment to operate [on] the new fuel.

A small number of vehicles may require preventative maintenance in the form of upgrading certain engine and fuel system seals that may not perform well in the transition to the new fuel and could leak. Studies of test fleets have indicated that fuel system leaks are not exclusive to a particular engine type, fuel type or geographic region. It is anticipated that only a small fraction of the vehicles will be affected."

A leak in your fuel system can be dangerous, potentially causing fires to occur if diesel fuel comes in contact with hot engine parts. It is recommended that you consult with your vehicle manufacturer for advice about maintaining or replacing the fuel system seals in your vehicle.

Please refer to our technical bulletin Fuel Links from Seals of Vehicles using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel for additional information.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A12

Today’s diesel powered vehicles feature low emission engines that are more susceptible than ever to diesel fuel related wear. Diesel engine designs are employing the use of higher fuel injection pressures, hotter fuel return temperatures, higher operating temperatures and complex engine geometry to control emissions. All of these factors result in increased fuel system wear and can shorten engine life.

With the mandate by the United States EPA to reduce the sulfur content of diesel fuels to control emissions, this has resulted the elimination of certain naturally occurring polar compounds that aid in protection of the fuel system from wear by forming a protective layer on the metal surfaces fuel injection system. The increased use of the hydrotreating and hydrocracking refining processes to reduce the sulfur content of the diesel fuel in order to meet the mandated sulfur content of 0.5% and the 2006 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel specification of 0.05% causes these naturally occurring polar compounds to become either chemically altered or completely removed, thus resulting in increased engine and fuel system wear.

Uhuh So in other words its going to eat the seals out of your injector pumps.

SmokinDodge said:
How much, the 5%? I've heard of problems running over 50% with low power but not many with just 5.

Holy crap a N14 on a gen! Man that is some power!

I'll double check, but I don't know the exact %. We have had differant ratio fuels depending on where our jobs end up. But I can tell you my bigger gens that drink the red pop do not like the bio diesel at all. We haven't had any additives that I'm aware of added, just what the fuel companies have in the fuel.

N14...that is one of small to mid sized gens. They are in 300 KW's. Our 500 Kw's use the K19's (6 cyl) and the 800kw's use the K38's (V8).

Our big power house gens are 1250 Kw's with the Qsk 45's (V12) and the older ones had the KTA 50's. (V16)

The biggest Diesel units we have are 2 MW (2000 KW) and use the QSK 60's (V16's)

Those pistons are about the size of my head..... seriously!

Low sulphur diesel has been about for 10+ years over here ,I don't use it all the time ,unless i'm buying it unknowingly,I haven't noticed any significent problems with injectors,feul economy,filters etc

Low sulfur diesel solutions.
Add 5% good quality biodiesel (B100)
or
Add 1:500 Synthetic two stroke oil.

I put a bottle of howes in with every tank (24 under the bed and 50 in the bed) now, my trucks a 98 12v dodge, my fiancee drives our 05 duramax and I try to get her to add a half bottle at every fillup but it doesnt always get done, no problems so far....

I had just noticed the sticker on the pump last week and it seems to be making some problems. On the 2007 trucks, where do you fill them up at?? Doesn't quite make sense. I know someone who was about to buy a new truck but the dealer told them that you can have the truck but there aren't any gas stations around that sell the diesel fuel you need. Any one else run into this yet?

I think we have had ultra low sulfur diesel for most of the year. So if you buy a new diesel in Iowa you are probably pretty safe. Around here most of the farmers are running between 5 ad 50% soy in their farm diesel. Some depends on season and the rest is based on the experiences of the farmer with the different grades. Usually they will start with 5-10% and maybe then try something higher. If they have no problems they will go some higher, if they do have problems they back it off some.

As far as I know I don't think you can get blended bio at the pump anywhere around here, but I could be wrong. I do know that our local co-op is considering putting in another pump at their C-store for bio-diesel.

Latest posts

Back