Lowering intake on a 200t?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchup

Urban Forestry Slogger
Reaction score
Has anybody lowered the intake port on a 200t?
I've got a saw on the bench that injested a gravel, and the intake is all boogered on the bottom. I think if I lower the port .030 the port should clean up and save the cylinder. Will this negatively effect performance? Anybody ever done it?

IMG_0590.JPG
Another reason to never use your climbing saw on the ground.

Or another reason to run a saw with the air filter in place.

You should be fine fixing the intake floor. You could actually get away with just cleaning up the rough spot and giving it a light chamfer. The rings don't travel over that area so as long as everything is smooth enough there will be no problems.

I wish I knew what happened, but its not mine and the owner has no idea.
I don't have a photo of the intake, but there are two major crush points where the aluminum and the plating have been bent into the cylinder. Removing them has to be direct and aluminum will be exposed. I don't think traditional sanding would work. I can go in and grind away the burrs from the cylinder side, but I'll almost certainly change the wall shape a bit. If I take the whole floor down I can make a cleaner line.

I'm interested in this from a porting perspective.
I realize that lowering the intake will change the timing, but is that necessarily bad? My thinking is it might be good, but it may also make transfer a little more sluggish. Seems to me if I can keep the intake above 78 degrees, it should be an over all improvement.
People do port these saws, but they're not talking...

Take the best measurement that you can of the bottom of the port and then do what you need to clean it up but don't make it smooth leave it ruff the get some cold weld or jb weld and reshape to your measurement and the why to jb weld it take that bad piston and put a sooper lite cote of grease or dielectric grease on the good side of the piston and stick it back in the cylinder and use a small c clamp to clamp the piston in place to block the port. That's what I would do because the 200t is a screamer stock and you will most likely do more harm to the power output to it by lowering the intake on the 200t. Hope this helps.

Take the best measurement that you can of the bottom of the port and then do what you need to clean it up but don't make it smooth leave it ruff the get some cold weld or jb weld and reshape to your measurement and the why to jb weld it take that bad piston and put a sooper lite cote of grease or dielectric grease on the good side of the piston and stick it back in the cylinder and use a small c clamp to clamp the piston in place to block the port. That's what I would do because the 200t is a screamer stock and you will most likely do more harm to the power output to it by lowering the intake on the 200t. Hope this helps.

Yes, that is super helpful. Thanks!

I would be having a very careful look over the bottom end to make sure it wasnt a piece of bearing that got caught up in the port. It could do the exact same thing again if you dont find out what caused the damage
That's a very good point because unless they were running it without the are filters I can't see how a rock could get in there but there are people out there who think it's OK to run without them.:buttkick:

A friend found some pics on another site of identical damage. Apparently the Air filter screw can break internally and get sucked into the carb. I don't know if its possible to prevent that unless you replace the screw early. I haven't been into the box again yet to check the screw, but it would explain things.

The guy who owns the saw is usually pretty careful, and he doesn't run the saw without a filter. This thing is his baby. I don't like even testing saws without a filter on.

Latest posts

Back