Lowes 40V 12" chainsaw: better chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrocynus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I already own two petroleum chainsaws (a husqvarna 440x and a Stihl MS 171) for my 3 acre property. I am using chains with a higher kick back than the regular chain that is mounted on the saw when you buy it. For example, I am using the OREGON 20LPX072G for my husqvarna.

I bought for the first time a battery powered chainsaw: A lowes 12"bar KCS 120 for cutting in trees but also for my son who is 15 to start using a chainsaw. The chain on it has low kick back and it is an Oregon S45 (3/8" low profile pitch, 0.05" gauge, 45 links).

As long as the pitch and the gauge are right, can I go with 44 links? Should I stick with a low profile chain too? I am looking for a more aggressive chain? I am especially looking at this chain: 91VXL044G (Pitch 3/8” Low Profile™ Gauge 0.050" Drive Links 44).

Further, what 12" bar and chain would you recommend for the Stihl MS 171? It seems that this can be used in lieu of the arborist top handle Stihl MS 201 T C-M which costs $$$ and I just cannot justify the price as a non professional guy.
I am looking at this bar 120SDEA074 and this chain (91VXL044G Pitch 3/8” Low Profile™ Gauge 0.050" Drive Links 44). Anyone use the Powersharp conversion kit from Oregon?

Thanks!

I would stick with a LoPro chain for tour Batt saw as a more aggressive chain will load it more For myself I would go for a Stihl 63PS3 or 63 PS its dependent on your bar adjustment slot as to if you can use 44 DL's Of late I've had to much "Chatter" from Oregon 91VXL require 2or more filings to get it anything near right so now go with Stihl & find it much less trouble The VXL is semi chisel the 2stihl Full chisel if you want semi in stihj it's 63PMM

I would stick with a LoPro chain for tour Batt saw as a more aggressive chain will load it more For myself I would go for a Stihl 63PS3 or 63 PS its dependent on your bar adjustment slot as to if you can use 44 DL's Of late I've had to much "Chatter" from Oregon 91VXL require 2or more filings to get it anything near right so now go with Stihl & find it much less trouble The VXL is semi chisel the 2stihl Full chisel if you want semi in stihj it's 63PMM
Thank you for your detailed answer!

Take off the chain and go to your nearby friendly Stihl dealership and have them cut you a chain from a loop. That should take care of any problems regarding length, pitch and gauge. For a top handle saw with a 12" bar, stick to a 3/8" low profile chain.
The dealer put a standard Picco Super chain on the MS193T I bought from them and it seems to cut extremely well with pretty much no extra vibration.

Back