Lowes has poulon poo pro 4218 for $42

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of Stihl O P E is made in the USA. :popcorn2:
Does the eating popcorn isert mean you know it really is assembled in not made in? You post about buying a ms241 lately care to post a picture of the made in USA text? If the bar is made in Germany they put that big, when you look later you see assembled in USA with stuff from around the world.

Okay messed with mine. It was SUPER rich out of the box. Like spitting oil out of the exhaust rich. Got it tuned a lil better. Cut some tree my wife likes and it did great. $42 super happy. Gonna mess with gutting the muff soon

Okay messed with mine. It was SUPER rich out of the box. Like spitting oil out of the exhaust rich. Got it tuned a lil better. Cut some tree my wife likes and it did great. $42 super happy. Gonna mess with gutting the muff soon

yea i run 40-1 mine was 4 strokin but i tune in wood soon as i get a big log i plan on tuning itI will know where it is in a long cut.... ..better them to lean right LOL....

Okay I pulled the muff off. Have some p good ideas. Will post pics tomorrow

Is it like the older ones that modified mark did? with the 2 small slits for out lets behind the front plate?i reread his thread to get ideas for when i did mine.... Looking forward to what you do as his no longer has pics any more.....

I keep striking looking online around here for one. I think I missed the boat on this deal. :(

Is it like the older ones that modified mark did? with the 2 small slits for out lets behind the front plate?i reread his thread to get ideas for when i did mine.... Looking forward to what you do as his no longer has pics any more.....

Link? I searched and all the threads I found pics didn’t work

I keep striking looking online around here for one. I think I missed the boat on this deal. :(

Man I think you’ve gotta go in person. The one I found technically wasn’t in their inventory online. Dig around under and above shelves

you need to send it over to Frank and have a v stack and k&n put on it, you will gain probably 8 % more powa might just as well have him do a build thread on it why your at it. Out

Ye I seriously considered this BUT. I am not using this saw to pay billz. P sure he only works on saws that pay billz

I did mine yesterday. I came up with a super super easy method that doesn’t risk metal shavings in the muff. It revs VERY noticeably freer. Cuts super fast with no bogging. Very happy. I took pics, will post Em up later today.

I went to the nearby Lowes and found none, not even a tag on the shelf. The only Poulan on the shelf was smaller, 33cc.

Several Craftsman saws on display though.

Okay pics attached. Here is my thought process - I did not want to risk dumping metal shavings into the muffler, and I didn't want to try to uncrimp/braze it back together. I also did not want a totally free flowing muffler, some backpressure is needed. I think I found a pretty good setup.

You can drill a hole (or cut a slot) in the two tubes that slide out of the muffler. These tubes are somewhat directional, so mark their rotation orientation with a sharpie. I specifically wanted the holes that I drilled oriented where exhaust has to flow "around" to the sides of the tube. IE I didn't want a straight shot for exhaust gasses. I added a couple of arrows to show where the holes are oriented. I also wanted the holes near the opening of the tube, away from the heads of the exhaust bolts.

So, that gets exhaust gasses through the muff. Next step was the cover. I bent open the slot a little bit, but ultimately ended up shimming it open with a couple of washers. This part I am not super happy with. I might end up making a shim for this, not sure yet. I left the spark screen on.

Edit: Also. You can do this entire process without removing the muff from the saw. Just do one tube at a time. That way you don't have to mess with re aligning the gasket and plate behind the muffler. And - I drill a hole all the way through each tube (so there are two holes in each tube). In hindsight I would've probably started with one hole in each tube. Simply because I don't know that there is any need in allowing THAT much more airflow.

Attachments

• IMG_6179.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6180.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6182.jpg
    IMG_6182.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Next thing to figure out..... Mine uses a LOT of bar oil. Leaks a little when sitting as well. I've read various fixes, I'll post up with what I find on mine. So far I'm having a dang blast with this.

I was sent a pic of one of these muffs disassembled for anyone who wants to see. An alternative to drilling the tubes would be to reach into the muff and cut into those three holes you see in top right of the pic. Problem with this is you will get shavings inside the muff. I'm not convinced rinsing it with water etc will for sure get them all out

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
Wonder if the older 2 piece muffler would fit? fro a 260 or something? I don't like the thought of metal shavings in their either .....i have a spare muffler from a 4018 i may try to see if i can grind the crimp and maybe put it back together scrap saw so it wont matter....thanks for the pics Ham and to the Member here for the look inside...

Wonder if the older 2 piece muffler would fit? fro a 260 or something? I don't like the thought of metal shavings in their either .....i have a spare muffler from a 4018 i may try to see if i can grind the crimp and maybe put it back together scrap saw so it wont matter....thanks for the pics Ham and to the Member here for the look inside...

I have read that the older style will for sure fit. I think at one point poulan used a 2 piece muffler you can easily take apart. I might stop by the local repairshop and see if they have an old poulan I can yank the muffler off of just for kicks. That said, so far I'm super happy with the tube mod

Back