LR (logsplitter report) Yard Man 25 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brnchbrkr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just a quick Hello and a Thanks to all.
Great posts by everyone and my turn to contribute.

Report to follow, have to head out for a super bowl practice tonight, game tomorrow! (6yr old)

Will upload some pics of borrowed log splitter.

Pros for now: split green and dried oak 16" lengths no problems.

Valve control opposite of engine, and nothing but room
in Horizontal Position.

Small log catcher will catch some of the splits

Can manually stop the stroke on return to 18".

Started easy enough after dumping 2 yr old neighbors fuel
and cleaning out float bowl.

Not much to say Bad, because only have done about 1 cord, and beggars can't be choosy! :greenchainsaw:

Have read a few posts on trying to get a system down and going to post a few pics in a second.

Lopi Wood Burner insert. Outside temps this morning in the teens.

Northern, IL.

later.
PB200054.jpg

PB200055.jpg

PB200056.jpg

PB200057.jpg

PB200058.jpg

PB200059.jpg

Have more pics, but.......:dizzy: ;-)

Welcome to AS.

It's great to try someone elses before investing in your own, gives a great baseline of expectations to start from.

Your oak looks more like elm and silver maple, but the camera can fool a guy.

My neighbor has the same splitter, replaced and engine due to connecting rod failure, and a pump. It seems to do the job for him though. Then he was eyeballing my speeco, like a fox near a henhouse.

Last edited:
The only thing missing is the chainsaw, got to add the chainsaw pics.
Save yourself some grief and do a search on the web for a drawbar lock before you ruin the trailer coupler.

Welcome to AS.

It's great to try someone elses before investing in your own, gives a great baseline of expectations to start from.

Your oak looks more like elm and silver maple, but the camera can fool a guy.

Busted again! You all have good eyes, my oak pile was further down the line. Since new to here, only allowed a few pics at a time, so I will put more as we go along. Sit back and fire away!!
PB200060.jpg

PB200061.jpg

PB200062.jpg

PB200063.jpg

PB200064.jpg

PB200065.jpg

PB200066.jpg

PB200067.jpg

The only thing missing is the chainsaw, got to add the chainsaw pics.
Save yourself some grief and do a search on the web for a drawbar lock before you ruin the trailer coupler.

Thanks for the heads up on the drawbar lock, googling now, but adding my 8 pics at a time.
PB200077.jpg

PB200078.jpg

PB200079.jpg

PB200080.jpg

PB200081.jpg

PB200082.jpg

PB200083.jpg

PB200084.jpg

Nice splitter mine is just the same exept my footplate is 3 or 4 cm solid steel:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Good pics...

...as far as the splitter goes it's my impression that the operator has to be very careful about tripping over wheels/fender assembly...I suppose I could be wrong.

You're making good production thanks for posting. Personally I'm not impressed with anything MTD...imo they have brought disgrace to the once proud phrase ...'Made in America'.

What is wrong with MTD since they are a disgrace to "Made in America" ???:monkey:
Mine Works fine and i have never tripped over the wheels, I always split vertical That works good for me:givebeer:

Last edited:
Nice pics, thanks for sharing too. I have that same splitter, a rebadged Sears Craftsman model. I like the spitter as it has done everthing I have asked it to, I couldn't be happier with it. I noticed that you were spliting those big heavy rounds in the horizontal position and not the vertical, how come? They look heavy! I have yet to use my spliiter in the horizontal position because of the huge heavy rounds I have to split, my back thanks me for this too.

Interesting splitter! I've never seen one set up like that with the cylinder attached at the bottom only like that. Looks like a productive day!
Dok

It's a 'yoke' mount. I wonder how much stress that takes off the beam as there is much less moment of force trying to bend the beam. Something to consider when homebuilding as it cuts the beam length by almost half.

Harry K

i have the same splitter except with hondas new budget motor, absolutely no complaints. i was curious about the plastic fenders until the splits started falling on them. i have found that a little used motor oil on the rail helps stop the wedge from binding when pushing through forks and other tough splits. the trunion mounted cylinder allows for the half rail, really takes alot of weight off the machine, i can move it around by hand easily

Last edited:
i have the 20 ton like that i havent found anything that it dont bust i get the forks of elm oak loucest hicory all of em she grunts i stop right there for a sec and start pushien a gain and it does split open. has a 5 hp briggs and its 5 yrs old splits about 7 8 cords a yr.
larry

I sold the Cub Cadet version at my old mower shop. These splitters are a pretty cheaply built unit. However, they will be ok for homeowner use. Not worth a darn if you need it to run every day for commercial purposes.
MTD = "Made to disintigrate"
The Chinese built, "Honda clone" engine is holding up pretty well on mowers. It should be pretty good on those splitters also.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back