Lurker buying a saw needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ha.I missed a page.muffler mod looks good.I didnt go that far with mine as of yet.has a nice crackle with the 1/2" hole I drilled.

Ah ha.I missed a page.muffler mod looks good.I didnt go that far with mine as of yet.has a nice crackle with the 1/2" hole I drilled.
Oh yea, she has a nice sound for sure. I really like it.

I went back to look at the pictures I took. Found where I took a picture of the carb. HDA model. Here is a link for the manual for it.
http://www.walbro.com/media/21886/HDAseries.pdf

Interesting thing is it says to start at 1 1/4 out, then adjust in. So now I am wondering if I might be able to run it at that tighter setting. I'll get the video for you all first, so I can get some good input before I go any further though. But give it a look. Maybe I have the low set a little rich(seems fine to me though) and that might be why it runs like I have been "thinking" it should run with the high turned in so far. Seeing how the low attributes to the mixture during full throttle position.

Make sense?

Ok, spent the better part of this morning trying to figure out how to get it viewable to you guys, but think I have it. Go easy on my with regards to saw handling. I was in a hurry(yea, that's when accidents happen) but trying to get it done before it got dark yesterday. I assure you I was in control of the saw the whole time. I really am just wanting opinions on how the saw sounds.

I started off RICH. So rich that I had to lean it so it would even stay running once you goosed the throttle. So I know it was on the rich side and not the rev limiter. You can see me lean it out every so often. Right before I stop it to check how far out it is, I would say a few cuts back, is about where I had it running before. But, as you will see/hear in the video it sounds better - to me - at the end of the video.

Please tell me if I am not hearing it right though. One guy I work with listened to it and said it sounded like it was running lean/hot. He is by no means an expert and only has experience with homeowner/ranch saws, of which he has not ever messed with carb settings.

Anyways, in the cuts I would let up and press down. Trying to get to that sound where it four strokes when a little pressure is applied, but cleans up when there is significant pressure applied, without no pressure which would cause the rev limiter to kick in. Make sense?

I will try to do it again on a bigger log where I can spend less time messing with the wood and whether or not I am going to dig into dirt. I think that kind of makes the video hard to interpret.

That last cut seems like its right on the money right? You can hear where I let off part way through it, then again toward the end of it. I cannot see how that would be the rev limiter kicking in right?

That's pretty close.sounds to me idle is a tad lean not letting the rpm's fall off quick enough.hard to tell for me I'm kind of hard of hearing in my left ear and have mono on my tablet.lol

That's pretty close.sounds to me idle is a tad lean not letting the rpm's fall off quick enough.hard to tell for me I'm kind of hard of hearing in my left ear and have mono on my tablet.lol
Yea, that guy I work with also commented on the idle speed. I will probably play with that some. If you get a chance play it on a computer with stereo. lol I really want to get a good consensus that this saw is tuned right.

Anyone else listen to it can give some comments?

Back