Maasdam Rope Puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rope pullers can be just the right tool at the right time. I use my come a longs pretty often for tipping trees to my favor. I have eight 4,000 lb come a longs. Last fall I had a good sized Oak that I figured was pretty rotten that was leaning just opposite the way it needed to go. So I strung 4 1 1/8'' lines 50 or 60' up and started cranking with 7 of them. It took several hours of effort but soon started coming my way. Thanks

I have two of the rope pullers that I use once in a while for storm jobs. For most of my technical stuff I have a skidsteer and a whole bunch of ropes and pulleys to do whatever needs doing. The best mechanical pulling tool I've purchased was the "More Power Puller" from tree stuff. Absolutely love this thing. They claim up to 12K pounds of pulling force when doubled. I've used it in many storm damaged trees to tension lines or pull over trees. I've even used it to pull over large Cottonwood trees on the ice. Just drill a hole in the ice, drop in an anchor, hook, and pull.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1924&item=1856

1856.jpg

Was looking for a long rope for mine and while looking at different sites I found a couple sites that recommend 9/16 3 strand in it over 1/2. for example https://www.arborist.com/product/R180135-60/New-England-9-16-Blue-Fleck---600.html

anybody try 9/16 in there? I wonder if ya need to wedge in there a little more before it starts to grip the rope. Probably would fix the problem for anyone that actually had it slip. Haven't had mine slip on the 1/2 that came with it... I doubt 5/8 would fit, shame they don't make a bigger one like 1 1/4 ton since there's some pretty cheap 5/8 out there.

9/16 is 14mm which is available from European places. 12mm = 1/2" .... 16mm = 5/8" 14mm gets skipped over from US suppliers.

Have only tried the 1/2" Samson, 3-strand, twisted rope that was sold with it by treestuff.com. Guy at Maasdam made a comment that they recommend 'their' rope, but knows that people use other stuff. I did not ask any more about 'their' rope as I already had something to use. Not sure if there is a technical difference, or just promoting their house product. Call them up and ask: 888.797.7855

Philbert

The papers that came with it have a big bold font that says "Only Use With 1/2" rope." The rope Maasdaam includes is closer to 9/16" though, its around .550". 9/16" is .5625". not hard like tree master. probably stretches down to 1/2". .A fresh piece of tree master is like .500" exact... and twisted hard. measuring rope with calipers might have gotten a funny look if someone was watching me... I bought tree master 1/2." and yeah for the future if that 9/16 blue fleck is actually 9/16" and soft its probably the most similar rope to the official Maasdam "1/2" rope.

Back