Maasdam Rope Pullers - great alternative or bad idea ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preventec47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
https://www.maasdam.com/rope-pullers.htmlI am very interested in this device which can act like a come-along but with an unlimited length of rope.
Mfg says max 1500 lbs pull or 3000 lbs with pulley block. The thing that bothers me is they do not give a specific make and model of rope from other mfgrs that are compatible and the max length rope they sell is 100 feet and they do not have specs as to how stretchy their rope is. All they say is 1/2 inch 3-strand and made of poly-dacron with 4800 lbs break strength. I need to fell some 5 to 12 inch diameter trees with slight wrong direction leans.

I have been using steel cable come-alongs all my life with stretchy nylon rope but I now know first hand the pitfalls of using stretchy rope for winching and this seems to be an attractive alternative.

$120 plus ship at BAILEYS ONLINE 2 with short rope.

I eyeballed one of them for sometime. Ended up getting a Portable Winch Company powered winch instead. The rope you use can make a big difference in performance. The 3-strand probably works best but some of the static climbing ropes may work and be stronger.

I love the maasdam rope puller. I haven't used it a million times but its never slipped for me. WesSpur has a good deal when you buy as a kit with the rope. I actually bought a second one when the 3 strand rope was on sale and WesSpur discounted the kit price because the rope was on sale.

I have two Maasdam rope pullers and use 1/2 inch New England Safety Blue three strand climbing rope.

I use them a lot in many types of configurations.
I can see that rope choice is critical for the friction based mechanism but for winching small trees I want the absolute minimum stretch in the rope. I do NOT want a climbing rope that will stretch and absorb shock if I fall. So I am having trouble as the MFGR will not list approved winching ropes to choose from. All they
will recommend is their own rope which they will sell at max length of 100 feet and I would like to work with a 200 or 300 ft section of rope. A stretchy rope stores energy like a keg of gunpowder when it starts stretching. I cannot find any 3 strand rope that has minimal stretch. This is making me a bit suspicious
about MAASdam and their refusal to recommend any other rope..

I eyeballed one of them for sometime. Ended up getting a Portable Winch Company powered winch instead. The rope you use can make a big difference in performance. The 3-strand probably works best but some of the static climbing ropes may work and be stronger.
I think there is a contradiction in terms there if I understand correctly. Static means NON "stretchy" as in rubber band and to absorb shock if you are climbing and fall. I think "dynamic" is what climbers need in climbing ropes. They need the stretchiness. Winching ropes are "static" with the minimum stretch so when you winch, you actually build tension immediately instead of just adding stretch to the rope. I read that some nylon (3 strand) ropes stretch 50 percent just before they break. All that stretch is stored energy like a keg
of gunpowder !

This is a big jump in price but I am a bit skeptical of the CMI and MASDAAM rope pullers... Masdaam because they wont specifiy any other ropes but their own as acceptable.

I may splurge and get the expensive $360 3 ton Ratchet puller ( though not near as much as powered winches )

This is a big
I think there is a contradiction in terms there if I understand correctly. Static means NON "stretchy" as in rubber band and to absorb shock if you are climbing and fall. I think "dynamic" is what climbers need in climbing ropes. They need the stretchiness. Winching ropes are "static" with the minimum stretch so when you winch, you actually build tension immediately instead of just adding stretch to the rope. I read that some nylon (3 strand) ropes stretch 50 percent just before they break. All that stretch is stored energy like a keg
of gunpowder !
1. Arborist equipment is very different from alpine equipment. We use static ropes. In most situations our climb line is always taught, and is considered more work positioning rather than fall protection. In most systems we are actually climbing the rope, at least until we access the canopy, so a dynamic rope is not a good choice, as it just wastes energy. 45 didn't misspeak.
2. There are a lot of advantages to having that stored energy in your pull line, and tension is tension. As your backcut opens up, that "rubberband" effect is very nice to bring the tree over past it's cg.
3. It doesn't surprise me at all that masdaam won't recommend any other ropes, or sell other lengths. I am sure they have certified test results with that brand of rope at that length, and to go on record with anything else would be a huge warranty and liability issue. Call Ford and ask them if they have any recommendations on aftermarket spark plugs...
4. You are way overthinking this.

of gunpowder !
Arborist climbing ropes are generally static. I believe rock climbers and some others use dynamic rope.

Oh wow. I used to use one of these many years ago. I don't even remember what I did with it. I'm sure I didn't lose it. I think if I remember right, you could really only put so much on it, hence it's rating of course. I think what the problem was, generally, I wanted more pull on trees that required such pull, than this was rated for. I almost think that what I discovered with it, was that two guys pulling on a field come-along system was more than you could put on this anyway and that's why it got set to the side. I almost think this is hanging up in the shed somewhere still. I bet it is and it's just become part of the everyday items, that you no longer pay any attention too. That is if I didn't actually try to use it for more than it was good for and broke it and it got scrapped. That's a good possibility too. I do remember loving the concept and for what it was rated for, and for what it was, was good but like I say, I'm pretty sure I just discovered a quick field come along was more secure and more effective anyway. Great concept and it was easy to use.
I never used mine with 3 stand rope like the other guys claim you should. I don't recall it ever experienced any such slipping concerns. However, it's been so long now, I just might not recall that issue either but my memory says it always held good for the power you could put on it.

They work as advertised, great tool. Any 1/2" rope works, but it does bite 3 strand better. I do recommend using a prussik progress capture to guard against slippage.
Exactly! This might be a handly little device but you'd never want to count on it alone, if anything of value is within reach of the tree. Now that I think about that some more, that's probably why I figured it kinda negates it's own purpose lol. By the time you'd setup a safety line, you remove the time savings of it's very concept anyway I think is probably what I found. I remember it didn't make it to truck for very long. I kinda think I might of used it just a handful of times and saw no true, good advantage like the concept shows one would think you'd have. One of those good in theory devices but in practice, just wasn't there.

It could be argued that is ok for smaller trees that just need a little help, sure. Then again though, so is a field comealong still, since it's going to be an easy pull anyway. Yes, the time savings of running the whole rope through the loop, true. However, I'd have it run through and the pull on it, before you could get to and back from the truck with it anyway so I found no use for it at all in the end. :)

Oh wow. I used to use one of these many years ago. I don't even remember what I did with it. I'm sure I didn't lose it. I think if I remember right, you could really only put so much on it, hence it's rating of course. I think what the problem was, generally, I wanted more pull on trees that required such pull, than this was rated for. I almost think that what I discovered with it, was that two guys pulling on a field come-along system was more than you could put on this anyway and that's why it got set to the side. I almost think this is hanging up in the shed somewhere still. I bet it is and it's just become part of the everyday items, that you no longer pay any attention too. That is if I didn't actually try to use it for more than it was good for and broke it and it got scrapped. That's a good possibility too. I do remember loving the concept and for what it was rated for, and for what it was, was good but like I say, I'm pretty sure I just discovered a quick field come along was more secure and more effective anyway. Great concept and it was easy to use.
I never used mine with 3 stand rope like the other guys claim you should. I don't recall it ever experienced any such slipping concerns. However, it's been so long now, I just might not recall that issue either but my memory says it always held good for the power you could put on it.

It's rated to pull 1,500 lbs and I'm sure it does.

And very easy to rig it for a 2/1 to get to 3,000 lbs pull.

It doesn't work well unless it is used with 1/2 inch three strand, as per the manufacturers recommendation.

It's rated to pull 1,500 lbs and I'm sure it does.

And very easy to rig it for a 2/1 to get to 3,000 lbs pull.

It doesn't work well unless it is used with 1/2 inch three strand, as per the manufacturers recommendation.
I think everyone should try one for sure. I've no doubt they are good, near perfect in fact, as for exactly what they are claimed to be. What I found was, the manufacturers recommendation just wasn't enough to make me anymore money while using it.

I think everyone should try one for sure. I've no doubt they are good, near perfect in fact, as for exactly what they are claimed to be. What I found was, the manufacturers recommendation just wasn't enough to make me anymore money while using it.

I've made lots with mine.

It put two kids through college.

Exactly! This might be a handly little device but you'd never want to count on it alone, if anything of value is within reach of the tree. Now that I think about that some more, that's probably why I figured it kinda negates it's own purpose lol. By the time you'd setup a safety line, you remove the time savings of it's very concept anyway I think is probably what I found. I remember it didn't make it to truck for very long. I kinda think I might of used it just a handful of times and saw no true, good advantage like the concept shows one would think you'd have. One of those good in theory devices but in practice, just wasn't there.

It could be argued that is ok for smaller trees that just need a little help, sure. Then again though, so is a field comealong still, since it's going to be an easy pull anyway. Yes, the time savings of running the whole rope through the loop, true. However, I'd have it run through and the pull on it, before you could get to and back from the truck with it anyway so I found no use for it at all in the end. :)
My progress capture was just an extra loop runner or 2 from the T.I.P. to a biner with a prussik on the load line, less than a minute to set up.

Back