Maasdam Rope Pullers - great alternative or bad idea ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all the great comments I have decided to spurge a bit and go with the

wyeth scott power puller​

MORE POWER PULLER

Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller" demo youtube​

Wyeth-Scott Company More Power Puller with Amsteel Blue® Rope, 3 ton

I think it is pretty easy to justify the extra cost for the extra performance and confidence of
this rope based manual winch device

MORE POWER PULLER

I think it is pretty easy to justify the extra cost for the extra performance and confidence of

Looks like a great product. One of the main advantages of the Maasdam rope puller is that it doesn't 'get full'.

MORE POWER PULLER

Well, that was painfull to watch... and based on these videos you chose to use the same system as this moron?

Well, that was painfull to watch... and based on these videos you chose to use the same system as this moron?

Damn he walked right in the drop zone from the trunk to the puller!

I have lots of ropes and I could have easily rigger a puller so that I could put tension on the puller from a tree very close to where the felling cut was made.

It looks like a fine pulling device but the video puts it name to shame.

Damn he walked right in the drop zone from the trunk to the puller!

I have lots of ropes and I could have easily rigger a puller so that I could put tension on the puller from a tree very close to where the felling cut was made.

It looks like a fine pulling device but the video puts it name to shame.
What was with pounding 3 wedges when he had a rope in the tree? Either or, lol

This is a big jump in price but I am a bit skeptical of the CMI and MASDAAM rope pullers... Masdaam because they wont specifiy any other ropes but their own as acceptable.

I may splurge and get the expensive $360 3 ton Ratchet puller ( though not near as much as powered winches )

Samson makes a 3 strand rope that I used in mine.
https://www.samsonrope.com/

https://www.maasdam.com/rope-pullers.htmlI am very interested in this device which can act like a come-along but with an unlimited length of rope.
Mfg says max 750 lbs pull or 1500 lbs with pulley block. The thing that bothers me is they do not give a specific
make and model of rope from other mfgrs that are compatible and the max length rope they sell is 100 feet
and they do not have specs as to how stretchy their rope is. All they say is 1/2 inch 3-strand and made of poly-dacron with 4800 lbs break strength. I need to fell some 5 to 12 inch diameter trees with slight wrong direction leans.

I have been using steel cable come-alongs all my life with stretchy nylon rope but I now know first hand the pitfalls
of using stretchy rope for winching and this seems to be an attractive alternative.
well worth it. I bought mine in a kit and it came with 200' ft of 3 strand for it and a tree saver sling. i used it a few yrs ago to pull a 20" maple 90 degrees to it's lean, and it was leaning over a building with a gas meter and electric. and if it failed tree would have hit them and been a real mess. that is why my buddy called me to cut it down lol. And yes the rope will stretch too. it did on this job. like was said above use prussiks as a fail safe for slippage.

I've used mine with Samson 3 strand. I have used it for tension and setting up high lines for moving small logs. Will slip eventually, needs backups. Nice that you can't fill it up as the rope keeps feeding through. Doesn't move rope through very fast. Nice for pulling vehicles out of ditch too. Truly like folks say in the replies.

Anyone else using this 9/16 three strand w the Masdaam? Rated at 7700 lbs. eliminates slippage; albeit a bit slower when initially feeding rope in by hand before using.

IMG_9106.jpeg

MORE POWER PULLER

i have both and glad I did. they are very handy tools. I have a Lewis winch too. I use that now for pulling out hung up trees.

Back