MAC 1432 wake up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've had a MAC 1432 since 1998. I bought it to replace a Homelite 150 Auto to use as a pruning saw around the yard. The Homelite was much more saw than the Mac 1432 but the Homelite was stinging my hands to death with vibration. The MAC was only $99.

The McCulluch 32 was a gutless wonder. If I was running it around the house, you couldn't hear it inside the house with the doors and windows closed.

I let the teenage grand kids use it. It has a low profile safety chain. This chain helps keep them out of trouble. These grand kids are now in their 20's. The saw has been used enough that it is getting ready for a new sprocket.

Noticing how anemic this little Mac was compared to the Dolmars and Huskys that I have, I decided to file down the safety raker plates some and I set the regular rakers at .025". Sure enough, it cut a lot better.

Today I disassembled the muffler. The attachment bolts hold it together. I intended to enlarge the outlet holes. I had removed the screen back in 1998. But I found two baffle plates inside the muffler. I left them out of the assembly and I doubled the size of the outlet holes with a reamer. So it is just a hollow shell.

Readjusting the needles on the carb for the opened up muffler, the saw has really come alive. It is not so embarrassing to use it anymore. Now it is no Stihl or Husky but for a plastic 100 dollar saw it is respectable. It just does pruning duty anyway.

Cool what ya did!!!
As the local weather dude says...
"what ya got...is what ya got...ya just gotta deal with it!!"

Ya got yourself a good pruning saw for $99 ....
and your grandkids probably had a blast cutting stuff!!!
:cheers:
J2F

When you take the muffler off the saw, the muffler just falls apart. The two halves are held together with the attachment bolts. The muffler halves are not welded together or crimped together.

I have another MAC that is a 1838 and it has been used very little. One of these days, I'll do the same thing to it and the MAC 110 that I have. I found the 110 in a trash can some 10 years ago. It is like new.

On the MAC 1432, there are three pieces of pipe that go around the muffler bolts to keep from collapsing the shell when you tighten the bolts.

It is a juggling act to reattach the muffler with the two muffler halves together and the three bolts inserted with the pipes around them.

I've forgotten, over the years, what the screen looked like in this muffler.

I've done four of the similar Mac 2014 and 3516 models on opening up the muffler. I prefer to keep the spark arrestor screen and just drill three more 11/32" holes in the baffels. The outlet is drilled with larger holes and more of them untill they over lap and you end up with a ragged slot.

They almost sound like a real chainsaw now.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back