MAC Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326 said:
Hey there ole Spike. How ya been? Does seem the thread was getting abit shall we said touchy but looking at Saps last post I think everything is cleared up. Sometimes these ole saw questions and answers can get confusng and taken the wrong way and I think thats all that happened. Looks like all is back on course now. Beings Lake and Sap both have the exact same saw I'm sure they can work together on any questions that may arise.....
Spike I'm getting closer to your Dolmars ole feller, the store is now open and hopefully we can get them babies in there..............

Well Thall ole pal, it will be good to have you join the Dolmar family. Dolmar is a sentimental favorite because of it's close connection to my own family. You see, while a lot of people like to debate whether credit for the first saw should go to Stihl or Dolmar, the truth is that the chainsaw was actually invented by my Grandfather. Don't laugh, I'm dead serious and I'll explain how it happened.

My Grandfather, the original Spike by the way, served in the 41st mechanized infantry in WWI as a dispatch rider attached to the signal corp. At the beginning of the war they were still on horses, but by 1918 they were on motorcycles. I'm not sure what brand it was, but there are some pictures of him on the bike. He was the first member of the family to have a cylinder count.

All of the glory in WWI went to the pilots, but these guys played a vital role in the war. Keep in mind that this was before radio, and it was nearly impossible to maintain the phone lines. So, it was the guys on 2 wheels who were relied upon to get the information through.

One night while riding between regimental command posts, he came upon a German truck which had struck a mine and was overturned. Three of the Germans were dead, but a 4th lay in the ditch in obvious pain. Gramps went to his aid and pulled him out. He then offered him a drink from a bottle of brandy that he always kept in his saddle bag. The German, who spoke some english, thanked him and asked for another hit. Old Spike obliged, and since he was rather fond of his brandy, he figured he'd join the German, and had a couple himself. The two men who moments ago were enemys, actually hit it off pretty good, and proceeded to polish off the bottle of brandy there by the side of the rode.

As dawn approached, they both realized that they would both have to return to reality. The German could not move on his own, so Grandpa offered him a ride. But where could they go? My Grandfather didn't want to go to the German lines. Hell, it was his bike. And the German certainly didn't want to go to the American lines. Plus, since they were both wasted, neither of them wanted to go to their own lines. So, they figured that the safest thing to do was to go to the French lines, since the French army posed no threat to anyone. And they also figured that that was their best chance at finding another bottle.

So, they got on the bike and headed off in the direction of the French lines. But since they were both drunk they went off the rode and soon found themselves hung up on a fallen tree. They rocked the bike back and forth to no avail, and then Gramp just opened up the throttle on the bike and wouldn't you know, the drive chain on the bike SAWED IT'S WAY THROUGH THE LOG! They were free! My Grandfather looked down and said "Wow, check that out! You know, you could just hook up a chain to a motor and saw logs all day!" The German said "By golly, I think you've got something there".

The German soldier was none other than Emil Lerp, who founded the Dolmar Company and introduced his famous type A chainsaw in 1927. The two of them kept in touch after the war and wrote many letters, Emil always taking the time to thank my Grandfather for his wonderful idea about cutting wood with a motor driven chain.

So Thall, welcome to the Dolmar family.

Last edited by a moderator:
spike60 said:
Well Thall ole pal, it will be good to have you join the Dolmar family. Dolmar is a sentimental favorite because of it's close connection to my own family. You see, while a lot of people like to debate whether credit for the first saw should go to Stihl or Dolmar, the truth is that the chainsaw was actually invented by my Grandfather. Don't laugh, I'm dead serious and I'll explain how it happened.

My Grandfather, the original Spike by the way, served in the 41st mechanized infantry in WWI as a dispatch rider attached to the signal corp. At the beginning of the war they were still on horses, but by 1918 they were on motorcycles. I'm not sure what brand it was, but there are some pictures of him on the bike. He was the first member of the family to have a cylinder count.

All of the glory in WWI went to the pilots, but these guys played a vital role in the war. Keep in mind that this was before radio, and it was nearly impossible to maintain the phone lines. So, it was the guys on 2 wheels who were relied upon to get the information through.

One night while riding between regimental command posts, he came upon a German truck which had struck a mine and was overturned. Three of the Germans were dead, but a 4th lay in the ditch in obvious pain. Gramps went to his aid and pulled him out. He then offered him a drink from a bottle of brandy that he always kept in his saddle bag. The German, who spoke some english, thanked him and asked for another hit. Old Spike obliged, and since he was rather fond of his brandy, he figured he'd join the German, and had a couple himself. The two men who moments ago were enemys, actually hit it off pretty good, and proceeded to polish off the bottle of brandy there by the side of the rode.

As dawn approached, they both realized that they would both have to return to reality. The German could not move on his own, so Grandpa offered him a ride. But where could they go? My Grandfather didn't want to go to the German lines. Hell, it was his bike. And the German certainly didn't want to go to the American lines. Plus, since they were both wasted, neither of them wanted to go to their own lines. So, they figured that the safest thing to do was to go to the French lines, since the French army posed no threat to anyone. And they also figured that that was their best chance at finding another bottle.

So, they got on the bike and headed off in the direction of the French lines. But since they were both drunk they went off the rode and soon found themselves hung up on a fallen tree. They rocked the bike back and forth to no avail, and then Gramp just opened up the throttle on the bike and wouldn't you know, the drive chain on the bike SAWED IT'S WAY THROUGH THE LOG! They were free! My Grandfather looked down and said "Wow, check that out! You know, you could just hook up a chain to a motor and saw logs all day!" The German said "By golly, I think you've got something there".

The German soldier was none other than Emil Lerp, who founded the Dolmar Company and introduced his famous type A chainsaw in 1927. The two of them kept in touch after the war and wrote many letters, Emil always taking the time to thank my Grandfather for his wonderful idea about cutting wood with a motor driven chain.

So Thall, welcome to the Dolmar family.

Wow Spike, great story man, great. I'm hoping and pushing the big dogs to get Dolmar over in our new store. I got no bones with brands, none. Dolmar seems to interest me more than Husky because they are a smaller company making it more fun for me to push them out the door. I was told the other day I could sell a tick off a dogs back,lol. I'd love to sell me some Dolmars and maybe even uhhhhhhhhh sneak a few out in the ole shed, ya knows what I mean,lol. Great story Spike, thats amazing................

Last edited by a moderator:
Lakeside53 said:
Hmmm.. Just re-read this thread. So what happend to rule 12???

I was wondering the samething. I thought Sap was playing and would tell me go ahead and reply with a pic to respond to his but he left. So now I'm wondering was he and Tree playing or provoking...

..And Sap wonders why we get on his case! Several tried to help and all he does is.... and no, I'm not baiting - it's an opinion.

I have better things to do... He's not going to get any help from me unless something radically changes.

Well bugger off then we sick of you Stihl guys recycling our exhaust fumes get a life and get a Mac.

Mc Bob.

This has been an entertaining thread to say the least.

ozflea said:
Well bugger off then we sick of you Stihl guys recycling our exhaust fumes get a life and get a Mac.

Mc Bob.

This has been an entertaining thread to say the least.

lol, Bob I was gonna give you that Mac 35 only cause I like ya but now, hmmmmmmm ya gots to pay for it,lolol, just messing with ya. BTW Bob Stihl was brought in this thread by a Mac guy. We was just trying to help a fellow AS member. Now Bob how much you offering for that 35 of mine, hmm,lol

ozflea said:
Looks as if i'd better be quick getting the last kick in

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ozflea/saws16.html

Take heed all ya Still lovers get a life Mac's Rule.

McBob.

lolol Bob. Let me show ya show ya ole friend who sits on top, no offence of course, good clean fun.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
and just for that I'm keeping my pristine MAC250 super... just so I can suck fumes:buttkick: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lake thought I was kididing about putting it in a safe place huh,lololol

THALL10326 said:
lolol Bob. Let me show ya show ya ole friend who sits on top, no offence of course, good clean fun.
attachment.php

You obviously don't have earthquakes out there...:jawdrop:

You need an MS880-41 on top of that:rock:

Lakeside53 said:
You obviously don't have earthquakes out there...:jawdrop:

You need an MS880-41 on top of that:rock:

I know, I'm very jealous that you got one and I don't but thats gonna change. Will need a bigger shelf for that one. That 660 has been sitting there for awhile, its lonely at the top,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

You know, TREECO sent me a PM last week and he mentioned that "it sure was hot up in the bucket truck today". Dan's right in more ways than one and I think he's on to something guys. I think that maybe the heat is getting to us all a little bit and some of us are getting cranky. It broke 100 up here in the northeast today and most of the country is caught in a heat wave.

Let's stop griping and give the mods a chance to weigh in on some of this stuff. Give them a chance to look at the "STIHL SUCKS" bar graphics and tell us whether or not that kind of thing is an appropriate post. Not just to avoid offending members who are Stihl fans, but perhaps Stihl themselves. While they are at it, they could also let us know whether or not it's OK to use abbreaviations such as "WTF" in a sentence, when it's obvious what it really means.

So lay off guys. The mods are watching, let's wait and see what they have to say about this.

Back