Made in Germany?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was over to Potlatch to pick up my 041 after they fixed the carb filter plate that I screwed up. Small Stihl dealer (Idaho Rigging) but they still do have big saws on display. 441, something (memory slipped), 650 along with the usual small saws MS310 and below). I noticed an odd thing. The MS 441 and all under that had the saw ident on the starter cover, i.e., MS310 but the bigger saws only had "made in Germany" there. I had to look at the tags to identify them.

Are the big ones really built in Germany?

Harry K

No Steels above 70 cc (440 and 441 are 70.7) are made in the US, I believe. Most are made in Germany exclusively, but some older models are made elsewhere (Brazil and ????).

Most smaller models are made both in the US and Germany, and the German versions often have a bit more power than the US ones.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
If the serial number begins with a "1" it's made in Germany... "2" for the USA, "3" Brazil.
Thanks Lakeside. Every time I read that I nod my head. :clap: Problem is I can't seem to remember it when I need to.:confused: Along the lines of remembering little things....I am going out right now to mark my saw gas jug with a sharpie. I wouldn't want to forget and put the mix in my lawn mower. That could damage things, right?:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back