Made some new truck sides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of some new firewood racks. I milled the lumber on my woodmizer LT15. I might go 6 months without using that thinbg but it sure is handy when you need it. I still have to make back gates and put flat stock on the edges of the expanded metal. I had the metal already in the garage. It's been there for a couple years. When I milled the boards I left really thick slabs. I'll turn the slabs into cook wood and sell the wood. The slabs will cover the cost of the logs when I sell the wood. Once I get the back gate on the truck will hold a little over 1 2/3 cords loose thrown. If you rounded it high you might be able to get 2 cords thatwould be a lot of weight for a 1-ton. I built the sides 52" high because it is 89" wide. So one row stacked to the top is a 4'x8' stack. I'm going to paint it once it's finished.

Scott

good heavy racks!! only one problem, they wont fit my ford when you bring me my first load of wood and leave the racks at the same time... thanks for saving me all that work !! lol PLEASE!! dont forget to do the paint job!! dark brown...

This is slightly over 1 cord of green red oak on a 1 ton. Personally, I would never attempt 2 cord on this style of truck. Nice work nonetheless.

162650d1292800098-12-19-10firstload2-jpg

I won't haul 2 cords either. I like being able to loose load my truck. I hate stacking. I might try it if I'm delivering kiln dried wood that day. I have dump trailer for the 2 cord deliveries. Right now I have 1 1/3 cord on the truck and a little over 1 1/3 on the dump trailer behind it. I have a few deliveries tomorrow and It's nice to have the truck and trailer to keep the wood sorted.

Scott

Nice work. I also like the bed itself. Did you build it youself?

No I didn't build the bed. I bought it. This is my cheap truck. I paid $750 for the truck. It had an 11ft utility bed. I sold the bed for $300 and bought the flatebed for $600. I installed a rubgy dump rack setup under it. I paid 1k for the rack setup (new). I put all new load range e tires on it. I installed a couple new coils and ball joints. It has been a great delivery truck. The V-10 sucks fuel but I got into it cheap enough that it's ok. I have delivered over 3 cords with it between truck and trailer numerous times. I have right around 3k in it. And most important the A/C works

Scott

Yeah, I can get panel "seconds" for 10.99 per panel, theyre usually 15' instead of 16, but I dont care. Then there's a guy south of me that has seconds on tubing and different odd-ball metal, which is $0.30 per pound. I had to get some channel at the high-dollar metal joint, but all in all I have about $180 in the set i pictured... What'd you do for a back?? I used utility panel which has 4x4" holes, I made the back so it can mount between any of the sets of "posts" so if I've got multiple stops (generally when hauling bundles) I can move the back forward. How are sales this year over there??

View attachment 217500

It's going pretty good. We haven't had really cold weather yet so I haven't had a big rush yet. The people I sell to that get more then one delivery a year are calling later then normal for their second,third, or fourth delivery. How are bundled sales going.

Scott

No I didn't build the bed. I bought it. This is my cheap truck. I paid $750 for the truck. It had an 11ft utility bed. I sold the bed for $300 and bought the flatebed for $600. I installed a rubgy dump rack setup under it. I paid 1k for the rack setup (new). I put all new load range e tires on it. I installed a couple new coils and ball joints. It has been a great delivery truck. The V-10 sucks fuel but I got into it cheap enough that it's ok. I have delivered over 3 cords with it between truck and trailer numerous times. I have right around 3k in it. And most important the A/C works

Scott

Whoa, only $750 for the truck. That is a fantastic deal. It just goes to show you that if you look long enough, and you don't jump on the first truck you look at, a deal can be had.

Whoa, only $750 for the truck. That is a fantastic deal. It just goes to show you that if you look long enough, and you don't jump on the first truck you look at, a deal can be had.

I was thinking the same thing. $750 for THAT truck. With a running V10 no less. WOW!

Scott, that is a sweet deal. Godd job on the rack. Gotta love Woodmizer huh? Are there any threads telling about your kiln and your experiences with it. A kiln is on my wish list. Buck

Looks good! I also prefer steel but I definately understand using what you have. Years ago I used more wood for things but now everything we build is steel it just lasts longer. Nice buy on the truck also.

Nice rack...hmm...sounds a little weird saying that to a guy:laugh: Just a word of caution about the Ford, do not replace the spark plugs unless it is absolutely necessary. Even Ford recommends not changing them due to the lack of threads in the heads. Ford has a major problem with the spark plugs just blowing out of the block, even if you torque them to proper specs. There is not enough metal in the head to hold the plugs in and has been a major problem, as once they are ripped out of the heads you are pretty much screwed. Now you can heli-coil the head, but think, if the original threads ripped out, your more than likely the heli-coil will too, as it will be held in by the same number of threads. Hey after all ford knew they had a problem they circled it! LOL

Back