Made up my mind on Husqvarna's.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I decided I would be happy with a wide variety of Husqvarna's... 242XP, 246XP, 254XP, 257, 262XP.

A friend told me the 242 and 246 are very hard to find parts for, and that parts on these two saws changed between the various years of production. Example: a component from an early 246 might not work on a later 246.

I'm leaning towards the 254, 257, and 262. Seems like a good fit for me, and the compression release will be a blessing. Pretty light in weight.

As a sidenote: Of all of the many different saws I've owned over the years, I seldom come across a Husqvarna. They are popular and widely used... but seldom come up for sale, whether running or not.

All I currently have is the 162SE, which is fantastic.

You folks like my choices?

I decided I would be happy with a wide variety of Husqvarna's... 242XP, 246XP, 254XP, 257, 262XP.

A friend told me the 242 and 246 are very hard to find parts for, and that parts on these two saws changed between the various years of production. Example: a component from an early 246 might not work on a later 246.

I'm leaning towards the 254, 257, and 262. Seems like a good fit for me, and the compression release will be a blessing. Pretty light in weight.

As a sidenote: Of all of the many different saws I've owned over the years, I seldom come across a Husqvarna. They are popular and widely used... but seldom come up for sale, whether running or not.

All I currently have is the 162SE, which is fantastic.

You folks like my choices?
Fine choices
The 257 is the easiest to find here
Everyone wants a 262.

I have a 353 which is ok for now my 266se did mostly smaller work in the past. I tend to think now about spreading out the cc’s in my saw assortment.(collection)
40 cc, 50 cc, 60 cc, 70 cc, 80 cc, 85 cc, 100 cc. I have so many smaller saws I need to sell off soon.

I have a 353 which is ok for now my 266se did mostly smaller work in the past. I tend to think now about spreading out the cc’s in my saw assortment.(collection)
40 cc, 50 cc, 60 cc, 70 cc, 80 cc, 85 cc, 100 cc. I have so many smaller saws I need to sell off soon.
I've sold down to just 18 saws now, used to have around 100....

I know i've changed my mind about Husky's as well. I've got several Stihls, and they are good saws, but, now i've got 2 , 266xp's and i really like them! One was really abused, but, the guy put a big bore kit on it, including a bigger carburetor, and this thing, ''sings''. Now, those old 266's have come to be a ''favored saw''. The reworked 266 sat unused for a long time, i put fresh gas in it, choked it, and it fired on the second pull, pushed the choke off and she roared to life. Which do i like best, Stihl/Husky, i'd say its a honest toss up. Called up a long time Husky owner last night, retired faller, asked about a few parts, he asked what saw, told him 266, he laughed and said, that's the one saw i've kept all these years. But, mentioned he might have some extra parts that i can use, i'll find out tonight. I'd like to have a better top cover, mine's cracked, i repaired it, but, not sure how well, or how long, it will hold up. And, maybe get another clutch cover and a better starter cover, just for spares. Well time to go to the daughters and do a little more trimming and clean up.

Latest posts

Back