magic file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got six badly abused chains with a saw I was given, they are all full chizzle chain and they look like they have hit a lot of steel, ther'e not rough like from hitting rock but smooth with the points bent in and the corner tapered way back, and a couple of em have been sharpened at about a 50 degree angle.
Iv'e been cleaning these up with a FILE, I'm takeing up to 100 thou or so off each tooth, I've got three chains done now and I'm still on the same file and it's still cuttin good, I think it's a Nicolson I got at Fleet-Farm I don't remember getting that much service out of one file before.

I know, yer gonna tell me I need a grinder.

John

I use Nicholson flat files. The mill bastard files last almost forever. They are worth every penny.\

I just finished designing and making a chain saw clamp caddie that works with any bench vise to (1) support the saw with the bar mounted and (2) clamp it tight to your workbench. I imagine it could have helped you during your filing.

I'll post pics on another new thread.

I use Nicholson flat files. The mill bastard files last almost forever. They are worth every penny.\

I just finished designing and making a chain saw clamp caddie that works with any bench vise to (1) support the saw with the bar mounted and (2) clamp it tight to your workbench. I imagine it could have helped you during your filing.

I'll post pics on another new thread.
I can no longer stand on my feet for any length of time and I now work sitting on one of those low rolling mechanics stools with the saw sitting on a shower bench, this seems to work extremely well for me, and no I'm not working in the shower.
I hope your clamp is a big hit and you make yer fortune.

John

I can no longer stand on my feet for any length of time and I now work sitting on one of those low rolling mechanics stools with the saw sitting on a shower bench, this seems to work extremely well for me, and no I'm not working in the shower. I hope your clamp is a big hit and you make yer fortune.

John
Well, John, I never intended to make a fortune with this device and I engineered it for myself because I was fed up with the saw shifting all over the place while I was working on it. That included filing chains. However, you are right that trying to file a chain's cutters mounted on and unstable, moving bar will drive you crazy. I'll get those Pics ready.

What kind of chain is it? No way it's Stihl chain.
Actually one was a Stihl, one was oregon and one was carlton, the carlton seemed to be the hardest.
I find Stihl chains to be hard to sharp and long lasting for the first couple of sharpenings but after that they are just like the others. (flame suit on)

John

Last Nickelson file I bought was junk, doing rakers wrecked the teeth.
NOW, I do have some old Nickelsons ,flat smooth, mill bastard, that have given me super service
I use them to deburr saw bars and it don't take long to slick them up.
The file I was referring to was "Made in Mexico".

Went out to file some more chain today and looked at my fie for ID, found one new nicholson in its package and it was not what I was using, then found a package of three with one missing, this matched the one I was using, the brand is Timber-Tuff, I bought these at Fleet-Farm also.
Since I have three more chains to do I decided to take the new nicholson and see how long it will go, the chain I did today was a Stihl, it's really sad to have to file away half of each tooth on a nearly new chain, he must be cutting on a steel sawhorse or something as all six of these chains have the same damage, the last two chains are oregon and been sharped more than the others and not in as bad shape. I'll let you know how it goes.

John

Actually one was a Stihl, one was oregon and one was carlton, the carlton seemed to be the hardest.
I find Stihl chains to be hard to sharp and long lasting for the first couple of sharpenings but after that they are just like the others. (flame suit on)
John
Carlton chains seem to be heavier and tougher than any. However, I fear their days may be numbered. They seem ti be getting higher in price and harder to find. Clones exist, but beware.

Carlton chains seem to be heavier and tougher than any. However, I fear their days may be numbered. They seem ti be getting higher in price and harder to find. Clones exist, but beware.

Husky is gonna be opening their own chain factory sometime. Perhaps they will retain a clue and make a premium chain.

well I finished up the last two chains yesterday, the nicholson file did great but not valid comparison because the last two are skip or semi skip, they a set of left- right cutters then a space of two tie straps before the next set of cutters so there are less cutters on these chains.
As for paying to have em ground I have no need for these chains or even the saw they came with but I do have a lot of time, and what would I learn by having someone grind em ?

John

Back