Makeing A Deer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Many years ago i use to make a lot of small "deer" to sell and give away as gifts. I thought it would be fun to make one again and show you how i do that with pictures...

I decided to make it out of a white pine i harvested some time ago...

standard.jpg

I sawed this pine into 3x8's...

standard.jpg

Because i damaged one of them when moving the pile, i set it aside to use for ??? Anyway, it's air dried now, so i cut a piece of it off, and ran it through my planer...

standard.jpg

Once it was planed on both sides, i put it on the jointer and straightened one edge...

standard.jpg

With one edge straightened, it went on the table saw, and i sawed off the end to get it nice and square...

standard.jpg

Then i sawed off the length of piece i needed...

standard.jpg

and then ripped it to the width i needed too...

standard.jpg

With that done, i set the pattern i drew up, on the piece and penciled around it...

standard.jpg

And started following the line with my bandsaw...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Once i had all the sawing done, it looked like this...

standard.jpg

So, i removed the pieces, to expose the deer...

standard.jpg

And started sanding the saw marks off...

standard.jpg

With that done, i threw on some oil to finish it!! It looks kinda nice standing there, with the racks of it's "cousins" in the back ground... lol

standard.jpg

Sooo, if your not a deer hunter, that's how you can still get yourself a deer!!

Hope you liked the picts...

Rob

Nice work - thanks for posting!

That's the real bonus of milling your own lumber - you can mill the size you want without having to pay a fortune for a piece with a large cross section that you need for making such an item - yes one can laminate smaller pieces together but it's not the same as seeing a solid single piece of timber.

Last edited:
NEAT stuff Rob... I like that. First thing went through my mind was how it would look in walnut... or cherry... or catalpa. Then I wondered how they would sell at my shows. That sanding part would be the fly in the soup if I wanted to make say 30 of them. I suppose if you put an aggressive course sleeve on first and it was something soft like catalpa, you would knock out the major stuff pretty quick, then cleaned it up with a medium or fine sleeve it wouldn't take too long.

Nice step through, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Nice looking deer, and a lot bigger than the ones you shoot and send me pics of.

You know Stihl rules!!!! Husky smokes and drools!!!

Kevin

Nice little project. The equipment isn’t bad either. My early muzzleloader season starts tomorrow and rifle the following Saturday. In a few hours I will be heading up to the cabin I built with the LL24. No TV, computers or phones just candle light and a new gravity feed water system and in door plumbing… Life is good.

Looks like the snooty little white tail thats been eating my italian plums this fall. I see her in the morning just before sun up sucking on the plums.....she just gives me a little head tilt, nose up in the air and then strolls away in no great hurray back into the timber.

Nice photo sequence - Awesome work!

Great idea! Nice design on the deer.Looks like a fun project to do.I'd like to make two of them mounted on a base to display my flutes.I could set the flute in the antlers.Thanks for the idea.:)

Linda's Dad makes these as well..

I think this one is from Mahogany but am not 100% sure. He sure is dusty and needs a shine!

attachment.php

Back