making a 385xp better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time widening is not needed when you change the timing. It can make the ports too big and lazy.

Like Flat74, I deleted the base gasket. I got a .022" on the squish - like mdavlee says - on two different cylinders. I added an extra port to the muffler, too. It is a very pleasant saw to run. Plenty of power. I've not run a ported one, but with just a compression bump and slight port timing alteration from the gasket delete with a muffler mod, and these old 385's run quite well. You can always go from there, as they are easy to work on.

Tlandrum has a thread on here somewhere where he did a 385 that I ended up owning. Lots of good info in that thread. The saw was amazing.

Just read that all the way through he basically just did what I was planning to do. I'll do my best to copy that and keep everyone updated as to how it goes.

Widening the ports is a basic fundamental of two stroke porting. I've seen tremendous gains in my early days from those kinds of builds. I'd make the intake and exhaust width 65% of the bore.
Exactly what I was thinking. Saw runs a 32 bar only in big wood I use the 359 for everything else. My point is the saw doesn't need to be a screamer and this being my reason for leaving the timing alone. Saw always is up to anything I ask it in stock form anyway just nothing wrong with improving on what's already there.

Latest posts

Back