making a stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazdmc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible to make your own wood burning stove? If so can it be made out of steel plate and be welded together. The reason I ask as I have a 6x8 sheet of 10mm steel plate lying about from an old job and I am having trouble trying to find a stove that will fit in my existing fireplace. Does anyone have any plans or show me to a place where I can find some.
thanks in advance
daz

One I made around 1980, still use it in the shop. The steel was a 4x8 sheet of 1/4", about 100.00 back then - All sheared to the sizes I gave.
woodstovex.jpg

I built a corn burning stove a few years ago. Works real good, could be converted to burn wood in about an hour. I used 1/4 inch steel. I put about 12 pipes through the stove on the topside with a squirrel cage fan behind it. I used a jig and a plasma cutter to cut the holes. Stove measures about 24 inches wide, 36 inches deep and 40 inches tall. Have the sensors to turn the fan on and off. I did pressure test the stove before I cut the hole for the door to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Probably will be converting to wood with the price of corn being so high. I use the stove as a supplement to my charmaster furnace. Took me about a day to make the stove. That was the easy part. The rest, well thats another story completely!

does the stove have to have anything special inside it? Or can it just be a box with a door, some adjustable vents to let air in, and a hole for the chimney/liner?

cheers
daz

One I made around 1980, still use it in the shop. The steel was a 4x8 sheet of 1/4", about 100.00 back then - All sheared to the sizes I gave.
woodstovex.jpg

My dad had a coworker build him a stove that looked very similar to yours. The guy was a boilermaker in a steelmill and overbuilt it. I remember helping him get it in the house and it was super heavy. When dad moved he sold it to the neighbor and made him get it out. I tried buying it from the guy,he's not using it,but he wont sell. :cry:

Here's one I just finished this past January:

I changed out the top vents for smaller openings to blow the air out into the room further. There is tape on some of the pics just to show air flow.

There is a 336cfm fan on the right hand side. 1/4" plate on the inside (firebox) and 3/16" on the outside with about 1.5" between them. I also welded baffles between them to keep the air channeled around the sides and through the upper pipes shown in a couple of the pics.

I built it with a 1/16th/side clearance to the fireplace. I had to grind some of the top welds down before it would fit. lol

The air coming out is hot enough you can't touch the vents.

IMAGE_00017.jpg

P6190008.jpg

P6190003-1.jpg

P6190007.jpg

The old hunting camp used a barrel stove. It kept us warm and dry. Northern still sells the kits, $40 some dollars I think. Found memories of getting up every couple hours to feed the barrel...

Latest posts

Back