Making Bar Oil...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh you guys have gotten my attention with this thread! I can go off all over the place about bar oil!

When I was working in the saw shop in the seventies, we had the hardest job trying to educate the cutters to buy a gallon of bar oil for $1.00. They couldn't see the difference from going to the gas station and getting a gallon of drain oil for free! HaHa!!!!!

They also were afraid to buy 2 cycle oil for mix, instead of using 30 weight motor oil.

I certainly wouldn't advise straying from dedicated bar oil for lubrication, but we did some pretty crazy stuff when necessary at times. (Not recommended)

We were out at the camp making Maple Syrup one spring, and were cutting dry standing timber to feed the fire in the evaporator. somehow, we had enough gas mix, but no chain oil. (Yeh, it was probably my fault,,,,,,it was always my fault!!!!! HaHa!) Had to get there on snowmobile, and town was many miles away.

Well, there was an old jeep there that hadn't been run in ages,,,,,,,,,,so I was sent to drain the transmission for bar oil!!!!! I had to dig down through about three feet of snow!

That was the last time that our saw wasn't fed proper chain oil! HaHa!!!!

bar is for the wealthy

i have been spotted puttin hydraulic oil into a bar oil res once or twice:clap: if memory is still workin i think we also had to use some dozer gear oil thinned out a wee bit:dizzy:

:cheers:

Everyone is missing the point here. It's not the oil in the used oil that is the real problem. The oil eventually breaks down, but the heavy metals in used oil do not, and will find their way into water ways and rivers. One pint of used oil has enough gunk to contaminate one hundred thousand gallons of water.

Sure there is WAY more oil in total dropped on and washed off roads every year - but since when did two wrongs make a right?

Here is another way of looking at the problem, if the average loss of used oil from every motor vehicle in the USA is just one ounce of oil per year that works out to be a total of 4 million gallons per year! This tells me that we should be fixing our leaking vehicles as well as not using used oil.

Most people do not realize how close we came to poisoning ourselves with lead in leaded gasoline in the 1970s. Lead poisoning lowers IQ and an ability to reason - interestingly, people living in heavily lead polluted inner city suburbs had the highest drop in IQ. The USA had reached a level of lead poisoning about half that of where the Romans were by the time their empire crumbled.

Reckon where those heavy metals came from????

To equate the "drop" in IQ in the cities and suburbs to lead poisoning from lead in gasoline is a stretch of monumental proportions and I find it disingenuous and insulting.
You may be able to convince some "still wet behind the ears" kid that lead from burned gasoline was the cause but I lived through that time.
There was lead EVERYWHERE!!
It was in the paint on our houses, our toys were cast of lead and painted with lead based paint. The pipes in our homes were made of lead and even the paint on our pencils, the ones we stuck in our mouths when we opened our desks so they wouldn't go rolling across the schoolroom floor, was lead based.
Do you think the "drug culture" of the 60s and 70s had nothing to do with a decline in the IQs of people in the cities and suburbs?
What about the fact that households where both parents were working, skyrocketed during that time. Mothers before then had mostly stayed at home nurturing the IQs of their children.
I'm sure the levels of lead (and other chemicals) in the air in places like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were not healthy, but don't point to a small part of a huge problem and say THAT is the one thing that caused it!

As for the fall of the Roman empire you will find that the lack of morality and common sense was FAR more of a factor there than any amount of chemicals they were exposed to.
Their empire crumbled for the same reasons that ours will.

Mike

I would not use drain oil for the simple reason that I've cleaned too many saws that it's been used in. It's been a real PITA in my experiences. Not to mention, the real deal is both cheap and readily available. Perhaps I would, if it were all that was available at the moment.
Re-refining motor oil has been an ongoing industry that is still alive and well. It was very common, in my youth a half century ago, to see it along side virgin oil products where ever motor oil was sold. Less so now but it's still available and conforms to all API specs as far as I'm aware of. I dare say if the can can purify sewage water to the point they can, being able to reuse motor oil shouldn't be a stretch.

Interesting stuff there; I didn't know the Romans drove cars fueled with leaded gasoline.

Mr. HE:cool:

Their vast array of aqueducts were all soldered together with pure lead at the joints. Not to mention, many of their drinking vessels were made of a pewter like alloy with a very high lead content. At least so I've read, I'm not that old to know first hand, but close.

a different lead!

To equate the "drop" in IQ in the cities and suburbs to lead poisoning from lead in gasoline is a stretch of monumental proportions and I find it disingenuous and insulting.

Mike

another point is it was and is a different lead!

next you'll be telling everyone on here using AV100LL that they'll get stupider cause of the lead in their saw fuel.

imagine... saying used oil is bad in the saw... not for the saw, but user, and then using 100LL for fuel! Wow.... :monkey:

oh.. and 100LL contains more TEL (or whatever it is) than car gas! About 4 times more than car gas EVER did... and guess what... there are still millions of gallons of AV100LL still being burned every year in USA!

You may be able to convince some "still wet behind the ears" kid that lead from burned gasoline was the cause but I lived through that time.
It was in the paint on our houses, our toys were cast of lead and painted with lead based paint. The pipes in our homes were made of lead and even the paint on our pencils, the ones we stuck in our mouths when we opened our desks so they wouldn't go rolling across the schoolroom floor, was lead based.
Do you think the "drug culture" of the 60s and 70s had nothing to do with a decline in the IQs of people in the cities and suburbs?
What about the fact that households where both parents were working, skyrocketed during that time. Mothers before then had mostly stayed at home nurturing the IQs of their children.
I'm sure the levels of lead (and other chemicals) in the air in places like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were not healthy, but don't point to a small part of a huge problem and say THAT is the one thing that caused it!

As for the fall of the Roman empire you will find that the lack of morality and common sense was FAR more of a factor there than any amount of chemicals they were exposed to.

Mike

Mike,

I will not go that far and accuse used motor oil of being the cause for the world environmental and health problems, but I think that we all have a moral obligation to keep pollution to a minimal level, for the sake of our and the next generations. We all have been guilty of littering and spilling oil (especially if one is around engines), but I will make the extra effort anytime to avoid it now. I have seen for example what gasoline pollution can do to the soil and surface water, and it's not a pretty sight.

There are a lot more people on the planet than 50 years ago (way too many if you ask me, but alas), so we can't continue to live the way we lived before, otherwise we will make our own environment kaputt.

The environment of the past is really something to refer to as something of the good ole days.

Mike

Your honour - I rest my case.

If a person that at one time was rational and decisive looses that ability and becomes irrational, moody, non sensible, what do you think that they look for?

Low birth weight and failure to thrive for no obvious reason?

Brittle bones, low mass muscles?

Low impulse control, short fused, inability to censor thoughts before they are spoken?

Stuttering, low attention span, in ability to focus?

Deafness, in-explainable rad om pains that moves about the body?

Autism?

Leukemia?

Rectal cancer?

Have you met any children like this? Heavy metals do not have to be ingested, the effects of them can be passed from a parent to the child.

Imagine if a culture that drank from and surrounded themselves in lead/heavy metals and other carcinogens. Now imagine if the culture "all of the sudden" developed a series of
previously unknown or extremely rare diseases that became common to that culture almost exclusively. What do you think would happen?

We are supposed to learn from history.

Last edited:
i have used used and new motor oil, and ATF fluid from time to time.

remember when you could buy new rocket motor oil in a tin can for $.040?

we were running the bar oil back when it was $0.69 a gallon.

i don't like to run used motor oil as chain lube much. i have use it a few times didn't notice it having any problem lubing the chain. nothing got hot. but the dirty oil makes the saw a mess to service. if the used oil isn't real clean it can mess up the oil-er. most of the time it ain't worth the trouble.

as far as bar and chain oil being so great a lubricant. my dad got the bright idea to pour a little bar and chain oil in his 8hp garden tiller to top it off cause it was low on straight 40w.

the tiller once cranked up ran about 250 feet began blowing what looked like soap bubbles out of every seem in the motor then locked solid.

a fellow i knew worked for the refinery told me that the bar oil was nothing but a waste product from the refining process that was filled with a large amount of cheap detergent's. that was a while back--in the era of the $1.00 gallon jugs of the stuff.

new 40w oil works pretty good. unfortunately any bar oil solution ain't inexpensive any more.

And I bet it smells better than real 'quench' oil.. I actually ran a rotary furnace and a Gleason quenching die press- I know the Gleason was of 1942 vintage (I was running it in 2008..) and leaked at least a 55 gal drum of hydraulic oil a week into the quench tank so the smoke that came out of that die every quench was pretty sickening to say the least..

:cheers:

Bingo....

I hated the stench of new motor oil, new ATF, and every other quench oil I tried untill used cannola oil for free was tried.

At the time mainly I was making blades for knives, darts head for atlatals, and lance like spears.

These were made mostly of old files and horse shoe rasps, and I found this oil much better suited to my nose, and still flash resistant. If you try it still have a quench box cover for in the event of a flash fire. It pretty much takes a horse shoe rasp to flash, but it can happen.

I did want to eat clams a lot back then :)

...and my wife wonders why I read AS.

"Honey, we're discussing Roman history and the drug culture of the 60's and 70's."

Who knew?? :)

deadhorse.jpg

bar oil

Maybe a guy could mix some lucas oil stabilizer with some cheap 30wt or 40wt oil to get it tacky enough? And some kerosene or diesel to thin it out enough?

Your honour - I rest my case.

What case are you resting, you have no case. You say that people suddenly got dumbed down in the 60's and 70's, are you serious? Do you really think that lead just showed up then and started poisoning people? The topic of heavy metals was discussed as a by product of using used motor oil, do heavy metals never break down (rust)? And most wood cut in my neck of the woods finds itself in a fire sooner or later where the small amount of used oil, and heavy metals is burned off. God knew that there was going to be pollution and he put counter-measures in place to deal with it for example the natural filtration of rocks, sand, and sunlight.

Latest posts

Back