Making chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying my hand at making my own chain loops. Using Oregon 72EXL and an Oregon branded spinner with the "A" bit installed. Works well enough but my rivets get splits around the edges as I get to the point that I believe they are tight enough. Too tight? Too agressive on the squeeze? Non issue?

20221024_183306.jpg

I know not about Oregon spinner bit sizes but make sure what you are using matches your chain size.

As Philbert has mentioned, to slow spinning and too much force along with a dry surface cracking the head. The circular marks on the plates show force.

I have just used motor oil and spin fast and apply pressure gradually. You can stop part way on one and start on the other rivet head. After a while you will know how much turning on the pressure range it will take for the rivets and chain you are working on.

I just flick a switch on the back of the spinner and that governs speed of rotation- a small pump oil can filled with bar oil provides the lubrication- all I need to do as the muppet on the handle is apply the pressure.
The Oregon electric spinner rotates (I believe) much faster than the human powered ones.

Trying my hand at making my own chain loops. Using Oregon 72EXL and an Oregon branded spinner with the "A" bit installed. Works well enough but my rivets get splits around the edges as I get to the point that I believe they are tight enough. Too tight? Too agressive on the squeeze? Non issue?

View attachment 1027204
Oil and practice, you'll soon have perfect rivets heads just take your time.....and oil.

If you take too long to form the rivet, ie not enough pressure when you initially start off, you can work harden the rivet, and that can contribute to cracking like your seeing.
try using more pressure after the initial few spins, and then taper off the pressure when you have it close to finished.
As others have already said correctly, use oil/ grease too.

Latest posts

Back