Making kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
This winter, or more correctly, the lack thereof, has decimated my kindling supply. I went out to goof off for a few minutes today with the 5100 that doesn't get as much use as it should. A couple minutes of chainsaw fun turned a couple feet of spruce from the bonfire pile into an assortment of cookies, noodles, and slabs.

Shoulda made a video, and started up a "KindlingMaker TV" channel, but you'll have to settle for a picture.

attachment.php

This winter, or more correctly, the lack thereof, has decimated my kindling supply. I went out to goof off for a few minutes today with the 5100 that doesn't get as much use as it should. A couple minutes of chainsaw fun turned a couple feet of spruce from the bonfire pile into an assortment of cookies, noodles, and slabs.

Shoulda made a video, and started up a "KindlingMaker TV" channel, but you'll have to settle for a picture.

attachment.php

I need that saw!!! You don't use it enough anyway!!! I need it to complete my collection "almost".. Maybe 1 or two more... But that ONE I need!!! The 5100 S... You can keep the noodles...
Too many carbs...
:hell_boy:

Thanks guys. I'm looking to pick up a X-7 one of these days for kindling duty, but noodling is just fun.

Hedge, not sure I want to sell, it's big enough to do most of what my 7300 does in a pinch, and small enough to do what the 420 does if needed. I just use the other two all the time though.

A trade of some sort might be considered though, whatcha got? PM me if interested.

You know, I gotta say, that is freakin' awesome. Very creative. You get all your kindling without too much messing around. Just like you said, cookies, noodles and rounds. Nothing will start a better fire than that.

And, don't start a Kindling Maker TV channel. Pics. are fine for me. That fella is kind of wearing out his welcome pretty fast. It might have been cute at first with all the chatter about moving the EAB, claiming a novel approach, etc. It started really getting on my nerves when the guy started a thread, and, when nobody replyed an hour or more later, he quotes himself and replys to his own thread. He did it like nobody should or would notice. Funny as heck but maybe a little sad.

Anyway, keep up the good work with the kindling.

I just shoved em into the dog food bag in the background. I use em to haul kindling (mostly splitter trash) in, then when they're empty, fill with bark/junk from in the house and out to the burn pile with it.

Phil, thanks again for sending that HF coupon. It came in the mail today.

I just shoved em into the dog food bag in the background. I use em to haul kindling (mostly splitter trash) in, then when they're empty, fill with bark/junk from in the house and out to the burn pile with it.

Phil, thanks again for sending that HF coupon. It came in the mail today.

There was a video posted in a thread here a little while ago that showed a guy with his kid making kindling by putting an ax head in a vise edge up, setting the round or split on ax edge and then hitting the top with a mallet. That seemed like the safest and easiest way to make kindling fast. I might try it with a spruce I just took down in my yard.

I just use newspaper for tinder.

I've been looking for a good way to store kindling, mostly splitter scraps. I like the feed bag idea. What does everybody else use?

I've been looking for a good way to store kindling, mostly splitter scraps. I like the feed bag idea. What does everybody else use?

I use a basic outdoor trash bin to store my kindling and bark pieces. I use another one for noodles.
View attachment 222794

I also use a couple of them to transport and store wood that's about to be burned closer to the house. I tote them from the wood pile with hand trucks, so it's really easy to move them if I need the back porch to be clean and not look like a lumber yard per the wife's request.

I use warped and twisted up 2x4's for kindling. Cut them up in 8" pieces then split with a rubber mallet and a hatchet in a vice. I store them in paper grocery bags. Nothing beats kiln dried pine as kindling....

Nice Pic Steve. Looks like that saw can do the job. Looking at a pile like that alwys puts a smile on my face.

I hit up the wood shop here at my school and get all the pine my mom, sister, and myself could use in our homes.

I just stack it in the barn in it's own stack... The short pile is all Red Cedar... Lights off like pine, just hatchet a few shards and BURN!!!

attachment.php

===

Apple Bins..I'm in Apple Country...

Get more kindling then I could possibly use from the splitter..Give it away by the box full to my senior citizen customers..

Latest posts

Back