Makita 6100 dies coming out of cut...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel428

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my 6100 wants to die coming off WOT after a cut. It doesn't get back down to idle, it just shuts off completely. Ideas?

Maybe extract the carb ,dissasemble and clean it with what you have around,or in ultrasound bath , re-adjust it to factory settings then try again! My EA6100P worked/works perfect from the box,new! I just finnished second gas tank, will run it more when I have time. But your chainsaw seems to have fuelling problems! I'm not an "expert" though...

I am having the exact same issue with my 6100 saw, but it seems to only occur after a while of use or when hot outside. It also will occasionally surge at WOT and seems to have lost a good bit of top end power. Starts and idles great. After it dies, it takes 2-4 pulls to fire back up and this is normally a 1 pull when warm saw, 2 on a cold start every single time. I made sure the air filter cover passage is open for warm weather operations, clean/replace air filters regularly, have pulled/cleaned/readjusted the carb with no change. Recently replaced the coil due an unrelated disassembly "oops" but haven't worked it hard since. Were you able to find a solution?

On my saw it ended up needing about a quarter turn adjustment (out to richen) on the low idle screw. It seems to have cleared up the dying out of the cut problem for me. Good luck with getting yours running right. I'd be shocked if all your troubles are not carb related...

On my saw it ended up needing about a quarter turn adjustment (out to richen) on the low idle screw. It seems to have cleared up the dying out of the cut problem for me. Good luck with getting yours running right. I'd be shocked if all your troubles are not carb related...
If the chainsaw was new and it was used for some time ,the carburettor will need adjustments at a Makita dealer or mechanic that knows what he's doing! It says so in the owner manual! Well,not exactly like this but a "tune up" is required after the run in period! Seems obvious since technical running parameters change "a bit" after run in period. Piston ring seals better in the cylinder,compression goes up a bit yet the carburetor settings are the same as when new. Mine hasn't start doing this but maybe I need to use it more,probably because of the fully synthetic oil I use in the gas. There was another forum guy around here that was "complaining" that run in period for this chainsaw makita 6100 took the longest out of all his saws bought new too(and he had a few to compare). All is good since long run in period means high quality steel/parts used in the manufacturing.
As is ,out of the box the chainsaw runs perfectly, for me,for now 😁
If that changes I'll definitely "complain" around here. Or just go solve the problem at a makita service center,with a good mechanic. So far I'm impressed by Makita/Dolmar!

Back