Makita 6401 for $180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a makita 6400 saw for about $180 plus tax used. It needs new bar, but has a new chain on it, and runs/looks good minus some numbers scribed into the plastic. So my question is this a good deal or do I keep looking? Oh yeah it was a rental saw.:confused2: My CAD said buy it but not sure yet, what do you guys think?

Have a chance to buy a makita 6400 saw for about $180 plus tax used. It needs new bar, but has a new chain on it, and runs/looks good minus some numbers scribed into the plastic. So my question is this a good deal or do I keep looking? Oh yeah it was a rental saw.:confused2: My CAD said buy it but not sure yet, what do you guys think?

I would be all over that deal....

Deals that good just don't come up every day.

1- Buy it.
2- Call Baileys order a closeout 18 or 20 inch bar
3- Run it, enjoy it, don't look back.

Take Care

Im going to guess home depot used rental saw, if thats the case just make sure you check it out well. Some times they get rid of really good stuff.

Im going to guess home depot used rental saw, if thats the case just make sure you check it out well. Some times they get rid of really good stuff.

You have been spying on me! LOL!! Yep Home Depot and they have two of them but they look the same except the other one they want $270 for? So what should I be looking for in this saw as far as making sure its a good one, any tips?

Last edited:
180 for a running pro saw, for that price Id have one of them in my collection!!

If it's a running saw, I wouldn't hesitate for that price. As a 64cc saw they are very strong. They can also be easily upgraded to 79 or 84cc's. From posts on the chainsaw forum it seems some folks are having luck getting Home Depot to throw a new bar into the deal. I have a former HD rental saw and the bars, like the chains HD uses, aren't great, but they will be something to get started with.

I'd buy it. I paid more for mine and am very happy with it. If it is a HD saw, check the number of times its been rented to compare the price. Mine was rented less than 20 times and was in great shape, so I didn't mind paying more for it. I also addded the bb kit from baileys. It has been a great saw.

Check for cracks in the plastic, integrity of tank. If there are no leaks and it runs, I don't think there would be much downside to a $180 saw. The bar that comes with it isn't very good anyway, so needing a new bar isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
I've bought three of 'em from HD, One was dead and in a box for way cheep that I keep for spare parts, and the other two were both in the $200 range and get used regularly.
The chains and bars that they come with are junk but a call to Baileys will solve that and don't forget to new air filters! Very hard working saws that serve me well.

Last edited:
Buy it and smile all the way home!!

I now own two of them...one is 3 years old and runs great, the other one I just picked up from HD 2 weeks ago.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

Different stores will offer different prices and throw in different stuff - I paid $220 and $205 for my two and didn't even get a scrench...my dad looked at one by him and for $195 he could have the saw, b/c and 2 extra chains.

The bar and chain you get aren't great, I already had to replace the bar on the 3 year old saw....and the chain only gets used as a back up to the back up or in dirty wood or when cutting stumps down close to the ground.

I'd ask them to throw in a bar and chain...just to get you going. If they won't...try another store..it seems they are all getting rid of their old saws right now.

They are a great saw, you will love it!

Buy i... run it... if you dont like it, put it on CL for more than you paid for it!!!:hmm3grin2orange: from what i have heard the are runners!!!!! Good BUY

I got mine with two new semi-chisel safety chains. Yes, the chains aren't good, but once they are de-safetied, they work pretty well. It did not take long to grind off the extra bumper on the chains.

i got one from hd also for 199 and its been a great saw.the chain was new but the bar needs to be replaced. i bought a 24'' b&c for mine and it cuts great with it. 180 is a good price ,buy it.:msp_thumbsup:

Though I bought my saw new, I'm happy with the saw. Starts easy with decomp, runs as well as my 372. Baileys for some upgrades/parts if you need. Cut safe.

I certainly hope you own that saw by now!

I have the saw on hold as home depot can't seem to find it in their system to sell it to me. I suggested they just give it to me since accourding to them they don't actually have it! LOL at least I tried anyway they said no but should be ready in a week to pick up or so. I also just found out my speed sharp star grinder I ordered from baileys (which is on backorder) won't even get to their warehouse until the 11th of March and I ordered it on Feb 9th!!! This waiting for everything is a killer. Maybe I should just cancel my order and order a silvey instead, sound good?:confused:

Considering what a BB kit from Bailey's costs, I'd be all over a $180 6401 that ran at all.

If HD is in a saw selling mood, guess I need to go poke around some Tool Rentals. Makes sense, their fiscal year starts Feb. 1, time for them to buy new stuff!

Well I am told by next Tuesday I should be able to finally buy that Makita, and who knows I might get it a little cheaper now since all the bs and waiting on home depot. The manager says even if the main office doesn't have the paperwork done he is selling me that saw one way or the other.:msp_biggrin:Thats good since I already have a new bar ordered for it

Since this got bumped I'll throw in my experience with my HD 6401.

Mine was $234, for a 2 yr old saw that had been rented 200 times.

Saw still looked pretty good considering it probably had a rough life. Still runs great!

Regarding chains, they're not always crappy chains. Mine came with a brand new Carlton chain on!

The only real disappointment I had was that it didn't come with any of the tools. I really just wanted the torx bit and the scrench for it. But they didn't have any.

Latest posts

Back