Makita 6401 with 7900 jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
This is my 6401 with a 7900 jug. This saw has been ported and polished by Eric and been in the hands of Big Dave, from what I understand. I have the 7 pin on it right now because I am geting ready to cut a big oak up with the 32" bar. I was messing around with a off the reel square chisel chain and wanted to run it in this 8" round ash for a try. My wife had a dig camera for bird pics and had her try and snap a vid. Her trigger finger was a little slower then mine. But oh well you get the pic of 3 cuts. Like I said this is a stock square chain that I am fiddling with. This is not my good gtg chain from Eric known as WJ. I am having troubles getting the inside top plate degrees right and outside and inside lol. Does any one have a clue how to get the degrees exact trying to hand file? No clue here as a beginner. No sound either.

Last edited:
Ahh, the trials and tribulations of square filing. That is what it is all about. I have ruined many a chains trying to get the angle just right. It is very hard when first learning to keep the file at the same angle on all the teeth. It is then hard to transfer those angles to the other side. Remeber, you are trying to keep four angles with one swipe of the file. Study that new square ground chain very well. Here is a link to madsens to help with the angles. More hook cuts mush faster, but doesn't stay sharp all that long

http://www.madsens1.com/angles.htm

When you file, you are going from the outside of the cutter, to the inside. It is opposite of the round filing you are probably used to.

With the double bevel file, you want it at roughly 45 degrees, and the top point of the angle will be on line with the working corner.

Try practicing on used chains first. Just make sure the chains are clean. I use a pressure washer to get all the sap and gunk off of them before starting. The files don't like any crap on the chain. Try to keep the chain extremely tight if you are trying to sharpen it on the bar. If it is loose and it chatters, it will destroy the edge of the file that you are trying to create the working corner. Also, try not to run the file backwards. That seems like stupid information, but I buggered up a file or two by doing that. I was trying to keep the "line" by not removing the file completely from the tooth.

Also, try to get as much light as you can on the corner of the tooth.

The rest is just practice. I can make the teeth look great, but the consistancy is the key. I am still havin a little trouble with that. Good luck, and if you want to stop by, let me know. I might be able to show you a thing or two. I also have a couple of the triangluar files, if you want to try one of those, although I haven't quite figured those out yet.

-Steve

Thanks steve. I already read all of madsens stuff too. Great info there. When i seen the vid of you with you stating on AS that you was trying out a good chain. I mistook it you was using the WJ chain. Then you corrected me stating it was DN Big Daves chain. So it was my bad telling the world that your wife was expecting and you didnt know it yet. :hmm3grin2orange: But its no big deal to me on chains and etc, I just do this stuff for fun. When its no longer fun, I'm done and will sale off my stuff. CUT 4 FUN !

Good Fun, Good Fun. Sorry about coming off like I did. The world doesn't know what we are taking about, but hey, Good Fun. lol.

Seriously though, I have about 10 differant square chains all in differant states that are my own. I have some very fast work chains, but like I said, the angles are the key. I haven't actually tried my hand a race chain yet. Too much regular learning to do yet.

I haven't had the luxury of having a new square chain to use as a guide. The best example that I got was after I had tried and ruined about 3 chains. Dave over at Precision Edge has a silvey and can grind them square. He ground a couple square for me, and then it was a lot easier to "help" myself. I could see the angles up close in 3 dimension, vs 2D in the pics on here.

So, I have quite a few chains to go off of now.....Dave Neiger, Dave @Precision, Dennis C., and Eric's, Plus my own.

Do they make a jig (holder) of some kind like the do for round files. That will hold a square file and can be set at certain degrees for filing? Something to mount on a bar with a chain and set up.

Cut4fun said:
Do they make a jig (holder) of some kind like the do for round files. That will hold a square file and can be set at certain degrees for filing? Something to mount on a bar with a chain and set up.

I have not seen one. They did at one point in time make a bar clamp deal that would accept a chisel bit file. I think it was made by Granberg. it looked similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oregon-Professional-Chain-Saw-Filing-Guide-23736a-NEW_W0QQitemZ7773788859QQihZ018QQcategoryZ85915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The problem with that, is you can't set the file at the correct angle inside the jig. I am trying to adapt mine to be able to. i just haven't come up with anything yet.

They used to make all sorts of neat stuff, but apparently no one care about square filers anymore....

TwoTurboVolvos said:
I AM GETTING THE 7900 UPGRADE!
That is soooo sweet!
I'm still in the look-out for the piston and jug.
Ron

Congrats. Mine has been backordered for about a month and a half, along with a 2 month B/O 5100 muffler and a slew of other parts......

Kevin that is the same deal they were talking about on CP a while back. It is more of a goofy file type. But would be interested in trying it out. Check out the file, it is rounded, not beveled.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31960&stc=1&d=1142003660

attachment.php

Notice that pic, though. That is about how you want the file to be positioned. You would want the top line of the bevel (on the same plane as the top long edge of the file)to be in the working corner. At least, that is what people told me to do. And it has worked with good results.

Thanks Scottr for finding that thread on the jig. Got to try it even if I :censored: mess it all to :taped: .

Walkers emailed me back and they carry ATOP in 3/8 and .325. Also cutterschoice has them. But they didnt list which ones.
Copyofviolent013.gif
Havent got the email back about using the square beveled files with ATOP yet.

Freakingstang said:
Congrats. Mine has been backordered for about a month and a half, along with a 2 month B/O 5100 muffler and a slew of other parts......

Backorders we have no problems getting parts that I already don't normally stock especially for new product I might see probs with a saw that is 20+ years old but not for current. There is no need to be waiting 1 to 2 months for parts.
Scott

Well down in Muletown, Ohio cutting up a 28" black oak on the property. Fell across the atv paths up on the hill. Used the Makita 7901 32" , Poulan 3750 22" and my dad got his Poulan 3300 20" in to the action. 90% of the cutting was with the 7901. Cut it up from 28" down to 16" biscuit cuts. 3" to 4" thick cuts. For some reason they are going to dry them and use them for flower garden decorations. Toward the base cuts I got to find out what it is like to hit freaking barb wire twice. Tore a few teeth up on the brand new woodsman pro full chisel skip chain I just got. The tree had over a 100 rings on it, lost count and wasnt trying again. Tomorrow is small saw day. Getting the 2000, 220, 305 out to cut up a sycmore and dads bringing his ole top handle mac.

Barbed wire sucks. So does Nails, Wire Rope, Horseshoes, etc.

Are you running Skip chain on the 32 incher? I was running full comp on my 28 and hated when I hit stuff. I picked up a couple 32" skip loops, but haven't used them yet, as I haven't had the need for anything that big lately. Storm season is always fun though....

The full chisel 32" is skip and the semi chisel 32 is reg chain.

Cut4fun said:
This is my 6401 with a 7900 jug. This saw has been ported and polished by Eric and been in the hands of Big Dave, from what I understand. I have the 7 pin on it right now because I am geting ready to cut a big oak up with the 32" bar. I was messing around with a off the reel square chisel chain and wanted to run it in this 8" round ash for a try. My wife had a dig camera for bird pics and had her try and snap a vid. Her trigger finger was a little slower then mine. But oh well you get the pic of 3 cuts. Like I said this is a stock square chain that I am fiddling with. This is not my good gtg chain from Eric known as WJ. I am having troubles getting the inside top plate degrees right and outside and inside lol. Does any one have a clue how to get the degrees exact trying to hand file? No clue here as a beginner. No sound either.

That saw looks pretty quick to me. Your saw was too fast, the vid wasn't long enough,lol. The one in which I break out the October surprise on my buddies Manual and SawTroll will probly be a 5 minute vid,hehe

Latest posts

Back