Makita 6421 Baseline Video in Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja_cain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here is the first video of my new/used saw. Cutting red oak with 20 inch bar and Carlton semi-chisel. Should be receiving Oregon LPX chain today for comparison. Saw is stock and has cat muffler. Should be interesting to see what kind of effect removing the cat has on the saw. After that it will probably be OEM 79cc p/c or I may just keep this one 64cc and get another one to do the swap. Enjoy!

JC

Makita 6421 in Red Oak - YouTube

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the chips

with possibly a dime or quarter for scale? I have a 6421 on the wish list.

Good looking saw. Only really bogged on third cut. It's about as fast as my ms390 was before I modded the muff, also 64cc. Opening the muffler seems like it doubled the power, pep, and speed. Just got a 460 yesterday and modded the muff. It gained some juice but not nearly as dramatic as the 390. Good luck with that fine looking saw.

I was leaning on it harder for the third cut. I am really interested to see how it does with the full chisel chain before and after mm. I have an 039 that I have performed a mm on and will try it on the same log with the same chain. Ought to be interesting :)

JC

Allright, I just ran both the 6421 and the 039 with the brand new LPX chain and an old busted RSC chain. The LPX chain cut it like butter. Haven't looked at the times yet but that MM'd 039 is no slouch. Will upload videos in morning while at work as I don't have unlimited data plan at home. God I miss having FiOS :(

JC

It looks as though the rakers need just a tad filed off the top, and that saw would eat like a fattening hog at the trough.:cool2:

It looks as though the rakers need just a tad filed off the top, and that saw would eat like a fattening hog at the trough.:cool2:

You might be right. I will try to take them down a little and try it again. I need to try it on the 039 as a comparison anyway. Wait till you see the videos with the full chisel chains :) Just to make it more interesting I will try to get a video of my 036 with all three chains. It is a little bit smaller on displacement but may be able to hang. We will see ;)

Results

Alright guys,

Here are the results. Keep in mind on every third cut of the sequence I placed a little bit more downforce on the saws.

6421 w/ LPX
17 sec
16 sec
15 sec

039 MM'd w/ LPX
15 sec
14 sec
14 sec

6421 w/ RSC
18 sec
17 sec
18 sec

039 MM'd w/ RSC
16 sec
16 sec
15 sec

Will post videos tomorrow in morning sometime. Will also try to get timed cuts with all 3 chains on an 036. Can't wait to MM the 6421. I have a feeling that the cat is seriously holding that saw back. Maybe I am wrong though. Here are some pics of the 039 MM.

Justin

View attachment 288411View attachment 288412

Back