Makita EA3500 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donb011

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker finally decided to contribute something back. I recently picked up a new Makita EA3500. While doing some research I found there was much real world info on the saw. For the price I figured I would take a gamble. Myself I'm a long time saw user with significant chainsaw experience. Most have been with Stihl and Husqvarna. I normally buy pro saws but needed something a little smaller and lighter. Recently I have started building trails for dirtbikes. I'm cutting through heavy underbrush, fallen trees , small trees and such. Running a 50cc saw was just to fatiguing after 4 hours. I wanted a Stihl MS241 but there no longer available. I have a few nice top handles but don't like them for the ground work. I bought a Echo CS-310 but wasn't overly impressed. Even with a muffler mod and restrictor caps removed it just wasn't a smooth runner. Honestly there isn't much out there for a sub 10lbs powerhead that runs 3/8 lp chains. So that my backstory let's talk the Makita. To sum it up this little saw rips. I was very pleasantly surprised on how good this saw is. I will say I did remove the catalytic converter and tune it. Out of the box it ran good but put out a lot of heat. With the cat gone and a little more fuel added it pulls hard for a 35cc saw. Ready to cut with the 16" bar and full fluids it was 12.2 lbs, that was before the cat removal. Starting cold is fast one pull and it's running. Hot starts the same. It starts clean and there's no lag when cold. Saw rev's out quick with very little vibration. Cutting speed is good. With a Carlton semi chisel chain it cut the small stuff like a laser. I made a couple cuts through 14" fir and it pulled through it fine. I had bought a husky 435 last year for this type of work and the 3500 cuts fast. The Makita EA3500 runs like you would expect a ms261 or 550xp smooth and fast but not the same power lol. Time will tell how it holds up. I only have 5 tanks through it so far. There are a couple things I'm not happy with. The air filter is pretty lame, just a flat piece felt. The sprocket cover is very flimsy too. The rest of the saw looks well built considering the built in China label.
IMG_20200607_182438976_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_182438976_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200607_182438976_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
I have the earlier model DCS3501, same but German made. I have nothing but praise for the saw, well built and after cat removal runs very well with lots of grunt for a 35cc saw. On smaller stuff it is my go to saw, it always starts first or second pull with good balance, done a fair bit of work now - on my third bar! It's like a mini pro saw with side adjuster, in-board clutch etc. I just add a bit of grease on airfilter joint to keep out the fines, my only For me a better choice than a 135 / 435 Husky or 181 Stihl

I was looking at the 3601 too. On paper it's lighter and has a extra .1 HP. What I wasn't sure of was the quick chain adjustment. Everyone who I talked to regardless of brand didn't care for them. Makita show both the 3500 and 3601 as current models. I assume the 3500 would probably be going away once there stock is gone.
Back to the saw one other thing that was nice was the adjustable oiler. There is just 2 settings but you can tell the difference. Over the years I have had other small saws. Husky 36, Stihl 017 , MS210 and probably a few others I've forgotten about. None of them I liked to use and I rarely did. This little Makita is a different story. That's why I took the time to write this up. After running the saw I can't think of anything else that compares performance wise in its size or price range. It just a great running saw that overachieves for it's CC. I'm impressed with it enough I ordered up a EA4300 to try out. My MS260 is getting long in the tooth and the Echo CS-501p I'm not impressed with. For what I use the 50cc saws for I think the 43cc Makita will do the trick.

The non cat model is the best if you managed to get one, if its not, its worth taking out the cat or you can get a none cat exhaust easy enough, then a quick retune after removing the stops on the mixture screws, saw runs much cooler and picks up better. I have a DCS 5030 and a PS 6100 and to be honest find them much more robust and user friendly without all the electronic gismoes which I know when working are great but costly to repair as everything has to be done by a dealer

I was looking at the 3601 too. On paper it's lighter and has a extra .1 HP. What I wasn't sure of was the quick chain adjustment. Everyone who I talked to regardless of brand didn't care for them.
I have that tool less bar nut and adjuster on my Makita battery saw and probably have said bad things about it. Just some oil on the threads and it is quite acceptable.

Echo 361P has a standard side adjust tensioner and is almost a pound lighter (8.4 vs 9.3#), but also costs at least $100 more if you miss the one day 15% off sale

The current China made ones are rubbish. I have had a few come through the shop.
They are a Bunnings (Walmart) box store saw

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

The current China made ones are rubbish. I have had a few come through the shop.
They are a Bunnings (Walmart) box store saw

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
What models are rubbish. The ones I have used were just as well built as their German siblings.

Supposedly everything below the 42 cc models have been made in China for several years.

3601 is a different family of saw. 3500 is the Kita verson of the former PS-35
Kind of confusing 3500 not on Makita site I went to https://www.makitatools.com/ope/ope-shop/2stroke-chain-saws but seems to be available at homedepot website. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-16-in-35cc-Gas-Rear-Handle-Chainsaw-EA3500SRDB/301791774

I don't need any more in this size at the present time. (Maybe the stihl ht250) The 3601 is interesting in design, not sure I like the sound from the videos on youtube.

Kind of confusing 3500 not on Makita site I went to https://www.makitatools.com/***/***-shop/2stroke-chain-saws but seems to be available at homedepot website. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-16-in-35cc-Gas-Rear-Handle-Chainsaw-EA3500SRDB/301791774

I don't need any more in this size at the present time. (Maybe the stihl ht250) The 3601 is interesting in design, not sure I like the sound from the videos on youtube.
I had the 3601. With muffler mod and timing advance it was a 9 lb beast. Very well built at least IMO. I never had an issue with it and sold it to @panolo I believe he’s been very happy with it as well.

I also had the PS-32 which is the 32cc version of the OP’s saw. I was very happy with that one as well.

Kind of confusing 3500 not on Makita site I went to https://www.makitatools.com/***/***-shop/2stroke-chain-saws but seems to be available at homedepot website. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-16-in-35cc-Gas-Rear-Handle-Chainsaw-EA3500SRDB/301791774

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/EA3500SRDB

It's on the site I went to.

I had the 3601. With muffler mod and timing advance it was a 9 lb beast. Very well built at least IMO. I never had an issue with it and sold it to @panolo I believe he’s been very happy with it as well.

I also had the PS-32 which is the 32cc version of the OP’s saw. I was very happy with that one as well.

Been a great saw. I would have zero hesitation buying the product.

First post. I really appreciate the knowledge gained from this forum. I know this thread is a little old, but I think this saw is good enough to warrant some more discussion. The excellent review by Donb011 was a major factor influencing my purchase. I was looking for a smaller, lighter chainsaw than my Stihl MS290 for use clearing brush and limbs from the fences around my property. Saws initially considered were Stihl MS201CEM, Husqvarna 439, and Echo CS361P. Stihl was eliminated due to cost - hard to justify $700 + for what I wanted. Info on the Husky was just not available (or my Google-fu was weak), so it was eliminated. The Echo was the candidate, but my attempts to find out about the One Day Sale in 2020 were frustrating. Local dealers either did not participate or said they had not been notified by Echo. A call to Echo put me in touch with an individual that obviously didn't know anything and didn't care. So much for Echo. Then I found this thread. I then also considered the Stihl MS211, but I liked the features of the Makita better. I did not want the tool-less chain tensioner of the EA3601.
As Mr. Donb011 said, it rips. Doing storm cleanup a few weeks ago, on anything 10" and under, it out cut every saw there except possibly the Stihl 036 and MS361... (Some of that was due to dull chains, though.)
I'd also like to add a little to the review above, since there is not a lot of info available about this saw, and Makita's website is lacking in some details. Features: internal clutch, two bar nuts, spur sprocket, two position adjustable chain oiler, 10 lb. power head, split case construction, crappy felt air filter - in fact, the air filter design is the worst part of this saw, getting the air filter cover off requires a tool, muffler mod is super simple, no limiter tabs, comes with 3/8 LP 0.050" chain, idle and "L" screws require a flat blade screwdriver which is included, "H" screw requires a "DD" tool which is not.
I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how...

First post. I really appreciate the knowledge gained from this forum. I know this thread is a little old, but I think this saw is good enough to warrant some more discussion. The excellent review by Donb011 was a major factor influencing my purchase. I was looking for a smaller, lighter chainsaw than my Stihl MS290 for use clearing brush and limbs from the fences around my property. Saws initially considered were Stihl MS201CEM, Husqvarna 439, and Echo CS361P. Stihl was eliminated due to cost - hard to justify $700 + for what I wanted. Info on the Husky was just not available (or my Google-fu was weak), so it was eliminated. The Echo was the candidate, but my attempts to find out about the One Day Sale in 2020 were frustrating. Local dealers either did not participate or said they had not been notified by Echo. A call to Echo put me in touch with an individual that obviously didn't know anything and didn't care. So much for Echo. Then I found this thread. I then also considered the Stihl MS211, but I liked the features of the Makita better. I did not want the tool-less chain tensioner of the EA3601.
As Mr. Donb011 said, it rips. Doing storm cleanup a few weeks ago, on anything 10" and under, it out cut every saw there except possibly the Stihl 036 and MS361... (Some of that was due to dull chains, though.)
I'd also like to add a little to the review above, since there is not a lot of info available about this saw, and Makita's website is lacking in some details. Features: internal clutch, two bar nuts, spur sprocket, two position adjustable chain oiler, 10 lb. power head, split case construction, crappy felt air filter - in fact, the air filter design is the worst part of this saw, getting the air filter cover off requires a tool, muffler mod is super simple, no limiter tabs, comes with 3/8 LP 0.050" chain, idle and "L" screws require a flat blade screwdriver which is included, "H" screw requires a "DD" tool which is not.
I'll try to post some pics if I can figure out how...

It's a great little saw isn't it. I have about a dozen tanks through mine now. Out of all the sub 40cc saws I used it's my favorite.

Back