Makita 6421 Sounding funny - Lack of Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That's all it is guys? lol. Kind of embarrassed 😳

I should be able to get to it in a day or two. I'll report back 👍
Hey Jack, no need to be embarrassed I accidentally trip mine occasionally but then you learn to recognize that distinctive laboring or bogging sound the engine makes plus the chain won't move.

Jack, I'm going to give you a heads up on Makita parts availability. I talked to a Makita Rep March 31st 2022 and he said parts would be available for 7 years so we have 6 years left. I think it was Christmas 2011 or 2012 Nik Bailey had the DCS6401 on sale for $360 which included a factory rebate. I bought the OEM P&C which included a Mahle Cylinder and a Kolben piston and it took about a hour for installation. That jumped the horsepower from 4.7 to 6.3 and turning at 13,500 rpm's. Anyway with a 28 inch bar and chain it's a beast.If you ever need a bigger saw consider a P&C swap. https://www.sawagain.com/dolmar-ps-...d-piston-rebuild-kit-oem-038130031-038130070/

Thanks Jimmy. I appreciate it. That cylinder and piston upgrade is pretty wild. I'll entertain this but it might be down the road a bit. I've
bookmarked the link. Thanks for telling me about this.

Thanks Jimmy. I appreciate it. That cylinder and piston upgrade is pretty wild. I'll entertain this but it might be down the road a bit. I've
bookmarked the link. Thanks for telling me about this.
You can buy an aftermarket P&C like NWP or Hyway for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price but I would not recommend it. I bought a 84.6cc NWP and installed it and the saw wouldn't hit a lick. I returned it to Baileys for an OEM Makita and they did not charge for the upgrade because the NWP transfer ports were cut wrong. Nik Bailey is a straight up guy hands down.
P.S. I like to see that compression gauge hit 180 to 200 psi

Back