Home Depot Rental Chainsaw for Sale - Should I?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Smith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

New member here. I'm in the process of purchasing a chainsaw and I'm seeking guidance on a Makita 6421 saw I viewed and inspected at a Home Depot Rental Center with a staff member's help. It appears to need a repair and I'd like to obtain advice on the situation.

The purpose of a new chainsaw would be to clear woodland trails of fallen trees ranging from small to large in diameter. I am a mountain biker and often these trees sit for months and months before someone clears them. Storms here in New England usually bring down large trees.

This is the blue model and I was told it is less than 48 months old.

I had the Home Depot rental staff answer many questions I had about the saw (I did lots of research).

Here's the good:
1. Compression test with guage - 152psi (this might be low, still checking)
2. Air filter - looks brand new
3. Fuel filter - looks brand new
4. Spark Plug - looks brand new
5. Chain - Brand new just installed
6. New extra chain provided
7. Over all the main unit looks clean (less bar)
8. The asking price is only $279

The bad:
1. The chain rotates slowly at idol. A tachometer reading shows the chain still rotates at 2300rpm. The saw should be at 2500rpm at idol with no movement. Setting the idol any lower than 2300rpms would appear to stall the saw. Or, as least, it seems to be on the verge of stalling.
2. When we ran the saw outside it seemed to take a lot of high rpms for some time before I could see oil on the ground. The bar nose was held less close to the ground during its operation.
3. The bar looks well used as a lot of the paint has been worn off.

Questions:

1. Are rental chainsaw purchases generally a good or bad idea?
2. Should I purchase the saw and try to install a new clutch drum and/or assembly myself? It looks like the cost is around $60 for these two parts combined.
3. Is the lack of oil (or perceived lack of oil) on the ground something I should concerned about?

Thank you in advance for any help. Currently the saw sits on the display table once again and I'm wondering if I should go back and purchase it before it is sold to another customer.

I’d stay away. Rentals are usually beat to death by inexperienced users. Plenty of Stihl’s you can get brand new for what you’re going to pay plus repairs. Just my thoughts.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought a used saw from a saw shop. There is a local rental shop that is also a Stihl dealer. I'd consider buying a used rental from them. But not from HD... They guy who tuned that up is probably in the paint department now...

Hi,

New member here. I'm in the process of purchasing a chainsaw and I'm seeking guidance on a Makita 6421 saw I viewed and inspected at a Home Depot Rental Center with a staff member's help. It appears to need a repair and I'd like to obtain advice on the situation.

The purpose of a new chainsaw would be to clear woodland trails of fallen trees ranging from small to large in diameter. I am a mountain biker and often these trees sit for months and months before someone clears them. Storms here in New England usually bring down large trees.

This is the blue model and I was told it is less than 48 months old.

I had the Home Depot rental staff answer many questions I had about the saw (I did lots of research).

Here's the good:
1. Compression test with guage - 152psi (this might be low, still checking)
2. Air filter - looks brand new
3. Fuel filter - looks brand new
4. Spark Plug - looks brand new
5. Chain - Brand new just installed
6. New extra chain provided
7. Over all the main unit looks clean (less bar)
8. The asking price is only $279

The bad:
1. The chain rotates slowly at idol. A tachometer reading shows the chain still rotates at 2300rpm. The saw should be at 2500rpm at idol with no movement. Setting the idol any lower than 2300rpms would appear to stall the saw. Or, as least, it seems to be on the verge of stalling.
2. When we ran the saw outside it seemed to take a lot of high rpms for some time before I could see oil on the ground. The bar nose was held less close to the ground during its operation.
3. The bar looks well used as a lot of the paint has been worn off.

Questions:

1. Are rental chainsaw purchases generally a good or bad idea?
2. Should I purchase the saw and try to install a new clutch drum and/or assembly myself? It looks like the cost is around $60 for these two parts combined.
3. Is the lack of oil (or perceived lack of oil) on the ground something I should concerned about?

Thank you in advance for any help. Currently the saw sits on the display table once again and I'm wondering if I should go back and purchase it before it is sold to another customer.
If you need a saw you will not beat this one! I have them in all states of repair and the worst will impress you and put in a solid days work, this fact is well established throughout internetland . Rental saws are fine and you will have no problem liquidating it should you so choose. Hell I'll buy it!
If you're not already familiar with the platform, you should know that you can increase the CC's by swapping to a 7910 piston and cylinder.
But alas, it is probably already gone since you procrastinated. At least now you know not to miss the next one...

And if they have any trashed one's, buy those to! Generally with rental saws it will be straight gassed, which requires a new piston and cylinder. I have a straight gassed HD rentalsaw here in a box that I paid $100 bucks for. If you take that $100 and add aa $200 dollar piston and cylinder and you have a 79cc Jim Dandy of a saw! Or you could buy someone's P &C that they removed to upgrade for $50 and have a total investment of $150 and again have all the saw that most anyone would need...

Thanks guys. I checked Home Depot's website and learned that the same saw was available in other locations near me. I decided to check them out.

Ultimately I went back to the original store and picked up that saw. This is because I read that a clutch assembly repair (install) is pretty straight forward. Because of the added cost a staff member there came down in price. He asked my what the parts would cost and I said about $60 or so. He asked me if $200 would be okay. I said yes and bought the saw.

Hopefully things will work out in the end. It does seem to run fine. Without any warranty at all, or the ability to return it (I don't believe), I still wouldn't be out too much if it decides to go kaput in a couple of years.

Below is a picture of the saw. I did buy some Trifuel (seen in picture) based on what I read about it and how often I plan to use the saw.
2018-03-08_16-49-53.jpg 2018-03-08_16-49-15.jpg 2018-03-08_16-48-59.jpg

Thanks guys. I checked Home Depot's website and learned that the same saw was available in other locations near me. I decided to check them out.

Ultimately I went back to the original store and picked up that saw. This is because I read that a clutch assembly repair (install) is pretty straight forward. Because of the added cost a staff member there came down in price. He asked my what the parts would cost and I said about $60 or so. He asked me if $200 would be okay. I said yes and bought the saw.

Hopefully things will work out in the end. It does seem to run fine. Without any warranty at all, or the ability to return it (I don't believe), I still wouldn't be out too much if it decides to go kaput in a couple of years.

Below is a picture of the saw. I did buy some Trifuel (seen in picture) based on what I read about it and how often I plan to use the saw.
View attachment 638056 View attachment 638057 View attachment 638058
I think in my stable are maybe 2 saws with chain brake, so this doesn't really apply to me, but if a person gets in the habit of kicking the brake on every time the saw gets set down there is no worries about chain still spinning. My old saws like to do same things but I'm just in the habit of burying the bar in my next cut, or shutting down altogether.. All depends on task at hand. I have a Homes XL-12 from rental place.. Still running.. Hertz I think.. Hertz my feelings it's Stihl running.. Humour.. Anyway, nice buy.. Welcome to the club.. Next step is chainsaw rehab.. Cheers, K

Thanks Beetlejuice. I appreciate the tip. I'll start the habit of using the brake when I set it down. In a few weeks I might try to install the $30 clutch assembly (less shipping I think) first.

Oh, no. Not chainsaw rehab lol. That's pretty funny. I am pretty psyched about having a saw now, though.

I appreciate the humor. I'd chime in but I'm running on fumes right now :)

$200 is hard to pass up. Good buy.

Did you just try adjusting the idle screw so the chain doesn't turn?

Regarding the chain brake...start using it more often than just setting it down. It will become second nature. I learned 20+ years ago the "rule" is if you are taking more than 2 steps with the saw running the brake gets set.

Thanks Beetlejuice. I appreciate the tip. I'll start the habit of using the brake when I set it down. In a few weeks I might try to install the $30 clutch assembly (less shipping I think) first.

Oh, no. Not chainsaw rehab lol. That's pretty funny. I am pretty psyched about having a saw now, though.

I appreciate the humor. I'd chime in but I'm running on fumes right now :)
I only takes one saw,,,,,,AND THEN IT STARTS.....The late nights sneaking around, hopping on C.L. to get a jump start and the next days treasure.. Or in my case, buying 40 basket cases of different lineage, and year and having to leave 3/4's of em with a friend so the little lady don't see em. SEE? it just doesn't end!! Whatever you do. Have fun with it,,,, and read, read, read. Cheers, K

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_141708.jpg
    IMG_20180213_141708.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180129_224325.jpg
    IMG_20180129_224325.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
Risky, but if you don't mind the challenges that may pop up frequently, you are right: you haven't lost much, except if you applied the 2 hundred to purchase a well kept, used, small to mid-sized Stihl that will last longer than the Grand Canyon. Regardless, good luck, have fun and update us once in a while, will ya?

Risky, but if you don't mind the challenges that may pop up frequently, you are right: you haven't lost much, except if you applied the 2 hundred to purchase a well kept, used, small to mid-sized Stihl that will last longer than the Grand Canyon. Regardless, good luck, have fun and update us once in a while, will ya?
What kind of stihl can you get for $200 that is even remotely comparable to this saw , I doubt I could find one for $4-500 dollars that I would trade for that clean looking saw, that he STOLE!
And I will give you a money back guarantee , that under similar conditions these saws will last as long as any other comparable saw ...
He'll love it , you should get one too ,their hard to beat!

"What kind of stihl can you get for $200 that is even remotely comparable to this saw"

none.

"applied the 200 to"

"What kind of stihl can you get for $200 that is even remotely comparable to this saw"

none.

"applied the 200 to"
I know that's what you were getting at, and that's why I said I wouldn't trade it for any that I could get for $4-500.(actually probably $7-800,probably take a 661 to even peak my interest )
I understand that you're satisfied with your saws, but either you have some insider info that I don't or ? Why is it risky for him, I don't think that he could have found any less risk. I am also curious what kind of challenges are going to pop up, have you had quite a few of these? I am interested so I can get out in front of the eminent problems that will be popping up , since I do have quite a few of these! Nothing personal , I was just wondering why the negativity after he bought bis saw? Say, Congratulations glad you found what you needed...

Great advice everyone. Thank you.

ATH- Yes, the technician at Home Depot did try adjusting the idle screw. He used a Tach also.

Dolmar - thanks for your optimism and explaining your experience with Makita. It's great to see that you have been using many of their saws over the years.

Great advice everyone. Thank you.

ATH- Yes, the technician at Home Depot did try adjusting the idle screw. He used a Tach also.

Dolmar - thanks for your optimism and explaining your experience with Makita. It's great to see that you have been using many of their saws over the years.
Enjoy yours thoroughly ! When it's time to refresh , give @fordf150 a call for your 79cc piston and cylinder for a pretty substantial boost in juice! Let me know if I steered you wrong or you decide just to liquidate. I would definitely take a nice clean saw such as this, off your hands ....

Stay safe and have fun with your new toy ! Matt

I'm sorry guys I'm with Jackbenimble on this one. Home depot seen you coming and stole your lunch money that you could have used on a Stihl or Husky. Being the kind hearted soul that I am let me attempt to get you back on track. I'll just send you 250.00 and you send me that terrible saw that will have way too many problems than what it's worth. Heck I'll even do one better...I'll send you 200 bucks and a Stihl 028 (good mid sized Stihl that will easily outlast the Grand Canyon) and you send me that crappy, blue, overrated, boat anchor.

Latest posts

Back