Makita/Dolmar 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey006

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a Makita EA6100PRGE at home Depot on sale last year.

So far I am loving this saw.

I sold my 8 year old 562 XP last year and it only cost me $100 to get the 6100.

To me this saw out performs the 562 in all aspects but weight....and the bar is junk but it runs Stihl chain so it will be o.k until I get another bar.

One issue.

I am running 40:1.

The saw starts great, runs great, hot starts fine....

Only complaint is it barely "burbles/4-strokes" in the cut.

I have the special screwdriver but it appears on the "H" setting you can only lean it out.

I can back it it all the way out and performance does not drop.

The saw runs fantastic....I just like to be able to tweak the saw so it's just a hair rich.

Not so that it is constantly 4-stroking just once and awhile.

Is there some sort of internal "limiter" in these newer makitas?

Picked up a Makita EA6100PRGE at home Depot on sale last year.

So far I am loving this saw.

I sold my 8 year old 562 XP last year and it only cost me $100 to get the 6100.

To me this saw out performs the 562 in all aspects but weight....and the bar is junk but it runs Stihl chain so it will be o.k until I get another bar.

One issue.

I am running 40:1.

The saw starts great, runs great, hot starts fine....

Only complaint is it barely "burbles/4-strokes" in the cut.

I have the special screwdriver but it appears on the "H" setting you can only lean it out.

I can back it it all the way out and performance does not drop.

The saw runs fantastic....I just like to be able to tweak the saw so it's just a hair rich.

Not so that it is constantly 4-stroking just once and awhile.

Is there some sort of internal "limiter" in these newer makitas?
Probably, take a pic of the high screw and I'd be able to make a better guess though.

I got a used rental 6100 a couple of months ago. It had been run rich and then sat for a while before I bought it. Initially it ran kinda funny but I did a muffler mod and retuned it and other than some idling issues it runs great and 4 strokes when it should. I will say that my hi and low jets seemed stiff when I first adjusted them but that’s from sitting. I can definitely use them to make it richer or leaner.

Maybe someone else can chime in but even tuned properly it sounds kinda lean. I’m using a tach so I know I was at 13,200 unloaded.

There's nothing to see from outside.

Just a post. Rectangle with rounded ends.

No plastic limiters?

I will have to invest in a tach. I guess.

The manual says there's NO adjustment for the H.

Saw runs awesome. Otherwise.

The air filtration is far superior to the 562xp, especially since I am in some dirty wood. 4 years old fire killed Pine.

Will see how it goes....

There's nothing to see from outside.

Just a post. Rectangle with rounded ends.

No plastic limiters?

I will have to invest in a tach. I guess.

The manual says there's NO adjustment for the H.

Saw runs awesome. Otherwise.

The air filtration is far superior to the 562xp, especially since I am in some dirty wood. 4 years old fire killed Pine.

Will see how it goes....
Do you have the updated filter kit on the 562? The original filter on mine let lots of fines by, but the new kit completely fixed it and is way better.

Do you have the updated filter kit on the 562? The original filter on mine let lots of fines by, but the new kit completely fixed it and is way better.
I sold the 562.

Paid $750.

Used for 8 years, sold for 600.

It serveD me well.

Was a great firewood saw...

But so far the 6100 is actually better.

Back