makita/dolmar 6100P mini review--

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
finally got around to spending a day and a tank of fuel with my "new" 2015 makita 6100P chainsaw.

my first impressions are very favorable , the saw is very well made and logically laid out-- starts in one or two pulls , it even started on two pulls after i flooded it.

three non "pro" things about this saw as it comes new--

#1 now i don't know if dolmars come with this horrible 'box-store" safety chain , but my makita had it-- i didn't even try to run it as i had a new loop of semi-chiz just waiting to jump on there--

# 2 this saw uses the antique "small husky" 095 mount --which is fine for small saws running .325 , this prevents me from slapping some 24" 009s on there --with 3/8 chain. sort of like wearing 7-1/2 EEE shoes in the bar dept--

# 3 has a very nice but laminated bar-- i guess they has to save a $$ somewhere--

# 4 holly-wood dogs?? were they planning to use this saw in a movie??---- lol -- i may just make or adapt some from some sheet steel--

now the good

#1 this saw bone stock has gobs of power--everywhere torque--rpm too -- it must have a big 4bbl under there somewhere the way it runs-- the 20" bar with the sharp chain just zips through some rough oak butts i had laying around. it has noticeably more RPM in the cut than my 590 and seems to have at least as much "grunt" down low-- i suspect its got a bit more grunt than a echo cs-620 has --

#2 the saw is not tempermental or finikey at all -- it ran the same all day nar a hiccup. slow down or speed up-- or a going dead , never touched the carb or adjusted anything---- very echo like for a makita/dolmar--

#3 don't ever say your going to quit when this saw runs out of gas-- you'll be there all day--lol

#4 this is a very smooth running saw , very comfortable to run -- don't seem heavy to me--it just not feather light --

#5 no cat in the muffler --and carb adjustment screws-- the muffler seems fairly open so i'm not jumping all over myself to open it up---

#6 inboard clutch with removable sprocket--

#7 top-notch air-flitration

# 8 metal handle and other parts

#9 very fine build quality--

#10 its a running package out the box---- it don't "need" nothing except for a good chain , you can mod the muffler, port it, drop the cylinder ect--whatever you want-- but it don't NEED any of this . but one of those MM ported and blue-printed 6100p's would be very interesting indeed-- my makita carb is spot on-- not too lean or rich-- never touched it--no need.

i am happy with it -- very happy for the power, the bang for buck and ease of use---

i

Great review! Except the lack of photos and videos lol. I have had my 6100 over a year and have cut tons of wood. It starts, runs and cuts better now then when new even. Very well behaved and smooth. As soon as I have enough spare money I will buy a second one just to have if I ever wear this one out.

not exactly a you-tube video but hey i am 54 years old--kinda out of that video generation--

maybe a file photo a a couple blurry phone shots will do??--lol

Back