Makita/Dolmar Identification/Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good Morning: I have a Makita 330s which translates (I believe) to a Dolmar 100 Super. If I am wrong there please let me know.
Anyway I need a drive sprocket for it. The old sprocket is trashed, looks like a rim sprocket but was one piece with the drum. A local dealer called it a hybrid. I call it hard to find.
Is there a replacement/upgrade available for it? I have looked at several IPLs but everything seems to be NLA or superseded by a part I can't find. Any help is appreciated.

The chain is 3/8 pitch. The dealer was not able to identify a replacement sprocket.

Frank

The chain is 3/8 pitch. The dealer was not able to identify a replacement sprocket.

Frank
Is that a LP type, meaning its a smaller cutter and chassis than the regular 3/8" chain? That seems to be a big chain for a small cc saw.
Just trying to get all the info out there to make sure you get the right sprocket. Pretty sure Oregon makes a replacement system for your saw, the system includes a drum, ring drive and bearing.

I agree that it seems like a big chain for the saw. The only number that I can see is on the clutch drum and that is " 6Z 3/8" "

The sprocket is worn in such a way that it seems likely the wrong size chain was on the saw. It has/had a six pin sprocket.

Frank

Looking through the Orergon master guide book it seems there were two crank diameters for these saws. Can you accurately measure your crank diameter where the bearing sits on?
The clutch drum they supply is of the LP design, meaning the smaller lower profile type and are 6 tooth drive. For these saws they no longer offer a ,"system," just a spur sprocket.

I will get that measured when I get home his afternoon and then get back to you.

Thank you for your help.

Frank

The 2 sizes that Oregon has posted have a fair bit of difference between them. The first on their list is a crank diameter of .3150 and the second one of .3937.
I have two of those saws here, one Makita and one Sachs Dolmar 100, they measure .3934 and 3932. so its likely the second one is what you need. Sometimes its difficult to get an accurate measurement on a round shaft. Both of my clutch drums and drives are like your original, the ring drive is staked onto the drum itself and not removable. The only one available from Oregon now is a spur sprocket in the 3/8" low profile, it would get your saw up and running.

Thank you for that information. To be more of a PITA would you have a part number?

Frank

I really appreciate your help. They are good little saws but not very well known it seems.

Looking forward to getting it back on line. Thanks again.

Frank

Latest posts

Back