Makita EA5000p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5105's are known to have tank vent issues. They let air in just fine but dont like to vent out pressure. Mine would flood so easily but it never seemed to be as bad as what you are describing with yours. My brothers would act the exact way mine did. We removed the little duck bill tank vent and nipped a corner off and it totally fixed our issue.
Did yours hydraulic lock? If not we probably have different issues.

The 5105's are known to have tank vent issues. They let air in just fine but dont like to vent out pressure. Mine would flood so easily but it never seemed to be as bad as what you are describing with yours.
For the last decade (and probably longer) tank vents have been one-way devices. They let air in but doe NOT let pressure (EPA's unburned hydrocarbons) out. It is the job of the carb to contain the gas (and vapors) in the tank. Since that is NOT happening you have a carb problem... Pressure test it!

We removed the little duck bill tank vent and nipped a corner off and it totally fixed our issue.
All this is doing is covering up for a carb problem.

Just noticed this post and I have one of my 5105's flooding when setting a long time. Runs fine after you clear the fuel out of crank so i gave this a try and used it today. Will check in a few days to see ,but I did not feel it was the needle and seat because of the way it runs all day once started.
A Big Thanks to Ronaldo and your brother. Missed the GTG this year
John

Just noticed this post and I have one of my 5105's flooding when setting a long time. Runs fine after you clear the fuel out of crank so i gave this a try and used it today. Will check in a few days to see ,but I did not feel it was the needle and seat because of the way it runs all day once started.
John
We sure missed doing it too!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

For the last decade (and probably longer) tank vents have been one-way devices. They let air in but doe NOT let pressure (EPA's unburned hydrocarbons) out. It is the job of the carb to contain the gas (and vapors) in the tank. Since that is NOT happening you have a carb problem... Pressure test it!

All this is doing is covering up for a carb problem.
You certainly may be right. I do know it solved my problem. And didn't have any adverse effects.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

John
I haven’t had that issue since I got the carb tools and adjusted the needles. I haven’t spent enough time adjusting mine yet where it’ll start easily, been laid up past 4 months and just now getting around again. I think I’m a little lean on the l screw. I wouldn’t have thought just adjusting the needles would stop the hydro lock but it hasn’t done it again, even sitting a month or so.

Thanks for the link. Luckily the hydro lock problem is put to rest. Ill attempt starting today using the choke . I’ll give it one or two pulls with the choke on and one pull with choke off then remove the spark plug to see if it’s wet or dry. My older Makita 50cc saws were bad about flooding if I didn’t open the choke after the first fire. Usually one or two pulls with the choke on would cause it to fire. Never leave choke on after the first fire and they would start right up. After I learned that they always started on the third or fourth pull.
I definitely want to look at the spark plug today after the third pull to start and see if it’s wet or dry.

Muffler mod really wakes these saws up and helps with their overall performance after a quick retuning in the cut once broke in . My 5105 H is a great all around saw , have fun ! ;)
I believe you. I think I’m just a slight turn away on the screws from it starting as reliably as my older Makita saws. I just haven’t put time in learning about this saw that I did the older ones. I think I did the muffler mod before I used it the first time. I mulched my asparagus bed yesterday and leg swole up so bad I didn’t get to check the spark plug after a few pulls to determine if it’s still rich or slightly lean. I’m almost certain I’m slightly lean now. Last time I used it I had to put a few drips of gas in carb to get it running.

Latest posts

Back