Mall OMG PISTON

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wondering if this

Home | Chain Saws | Chain Saw Chain | Bar Mount Patterns | Carburetors | Manufacturers | Trademarks | Collectors | Bulletins | Events | Stolen Saws | Chain Saw Age Reprints | Newsletter | Marketplace | Parts Sources | Cartoons | Links | Your Host

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model: 056 AVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 1115
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1980
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 81 ccm (4.94 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 52mm (2.05 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 38mm (1.50 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 5.6
WEIGHT : 9.4 kg (20.7 lbs.)
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Anti-vibration
CHAIN BRAKE: Yes
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Capacitor discharge ignition system
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS-118A, B
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-20HS
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-3HS/T
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Nylon mesh cartridge
STARTER TYPE: Stihl automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING: 2.5 to 2.7mm (0.098 to 0.106 in.) before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING: none
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Bosch WSR6F, Champion RCJ7Y
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.51mm (0.020 in.)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: 40:1
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Stihl
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 40cm (16 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 91.5cm (36 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Grey with Red top cover
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

COMMENTS:

Reproduction of this World Wide Web Site in whole or in part is prohibited without permission.
Copyright © 2000-2007 MIKE ACRES - All rights are reserved.

056 ave piston may fit with some slight mods?

Home | Chain Saws | Chain Saw Chain | Bar Mount Patterns | Carburetors | Manufacturers | Trademarks | Collectors | Bulletins | Events | Stolen Saws | Chain Saw Age Reprints | Newsletter | Marketplace | Parts Sources | Cartoons | Links | Your Host

Model: 0MG CHAIN SAW

MANUFACTURED BY: MALL TOOL COMPANY
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, U.S.A.
CRETE, ILLINOIS, U.S.A.
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
GUELPH, ONTARIO, CANADA
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 4500H
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1954
YEAR DISCONTINUED: 1955
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 5.0 cu. in. (80cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: One
CYLINDER BORE: 2.06 in. (52mm)
PISTON STROKE: 1.5 in. (38mm)
CYLINDER TYPE: Chrome Plated Aluminum
INTAKE METHOD: Reed Valve
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 3.5 Brake Horsepower
WEIGHT : With 18in (45cm) Bar - 34lbs. (15.4kg.)
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man Operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal Mall Design
DRIVE TYPE: Gilmer Belt Reduction
CONSTRUCTION: Sand Cast Magnesium, later version Die Cast Magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Bendix Scintilla
CARBURETOR: Tillotson ME Float type, optional Tillotson HP Diaphragm
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: nla
MINOR REPAIR KIT: nla
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Skinner ribbon element
STARTER TYPE: Mall Design Rewind type
OIL PUMP: Automatic eccentric driven piston pump
OPERATING RPM: 5,000
IGNITION TIMING: Fire at 38 degrees B.T.D.C.
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.018" to 0.020" (0.45 to 0.51 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: Position fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Champion J6J
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.025" (0.63mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball and Roller types
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 24 fl. oz.
FUEL OIL RATIO: 1/2 pint to 1 U.S. gallon (16-1)
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular. 72 to 84 octane
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: SAE 30 non detergent or Mall Oil # 22715
CHAIN PITCH: 9/16" (14mm)
CHAIN TYPE: Mall Inside-Outside Router
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 12 in. (30cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 42 in. (106cm)
COLOUR SCHEME: Mall Red
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

COMMENTS: Unique Characteristic: 1/2 crankshaft design motor. Some units were built with Mahle cylinder imported from Germany.

Reproduction of this World Wide Web Site in whole or in part is prohibited without permission.
Copyright © 2000-2007 MIKE ACRES - All rights are reserved.

The skirt length, width, and the exact height above the pin (and pin size, bearing width etc) are critical... as are the ring pin placement...

One is piston ported, the other reed... so maybe you can get away with skirt differences, maybe.

mall omg

Yes, i know Andy but i'm allowed to dream. I was hoping to find another Mahle piston to fit but so far no luck, just thought i'd throw this thread in to see what comes back. I actually emailed the Mahle factory in Germany just on a lark never know i've also tried to touch base with a guy who does custom pistons if i supplied the old one ( Not sure i'd want the extra cost though. ) We are going to Germany in Sept for three weeks so i will wait and see if they email back, i supplied the #'s of the piston.

Ps Still dream'in Kanuck land.

Last edited:
Can you accurately measure the pin height to crown and the inside space between pin bosses and the skirt length?

I also need the pin diameter.

I have a bunch of NOS pistons of various dimensions that are unknowns.

I have used outboard motor pistons from Mercury outboards as replacements for a number of Mall rebuilds but I need the dimensions to match up.

The ring pin stops are fairly easy to relocate as this is done all the time in performance mods.

Can you accurately measure the pin height to crown and the inside space between pin bosses and the skirt length?

I also need the pin diameter.

I have a bunch of NOS pistons of various dimensions that are unknowns.

I have used outboard motor pistons from Mercury outboards as replacements for a number of Mall rebuilds but I need the dimensions to match up.

The ring pin stops are fairly easy to relocate as this is done all the time in performance mods.

Thanks Pest.

Inside measurement between pins is 36mm, pin dia is 1mm & skirt to crown is 43mm, first pin to crown is 6mm lower pin to crown is 9mm, this piston has the dome type top so i measured to edge of piston as/pics. Here are some pics of the measurements hopefully this helps. There is a pin missing on this piston lucky it wasn't a total failure of cylinder and piston. The cylinder is excellent.

Last edited:
LOL

I was not clear.....what else is new?

I meant the size of the piston pin not the ring stop pin

I also meant the height from the top of the piston pin hole to the top edge of the crown

And the space between the two piston pin bosses that the pin slides into to connect the piston to the rod.

It looks very much like a merc outboard piston from this pic

I was scratching my head about a 1mm piston pin

LOL

I was not clear.....what else is new?

I meant the size of the piston pin not the ring stop pin

I also meant the height from the top of the piston pin hole to the top edge of the crown

And the space between the two piston pin bosses that the pin slides into to connect the piston to the rod.

It looks very much like a merc outboard piston from this pic

I was scratching my head about a 1mm piston pin

Trust me its not you Lol. I'm the newbie when it comes to this stuff. Wrist pin dia is 12mm, height to top is 18mm, between wrist pin bosses is 20mm. Thanks Pest.

Last edited:
Dats dah stuff

I'll root around monday and see what I can turn up.

Thanks for the help and the patience. Hopefully i can find one and get it running again in the meantime i will clean and paint,now that i know how to get the bendix magneto off so's i can remove the crank and the large belt in behind it.

I just got in my replacement coil for the same ignition for a Remington I am rebuilding. You are fortunate the original Scintilla has not yet failed as the coils usually fell apart as on this Remington.

A cool ignition that was used for years in aircraft and outboards and the points and condensers last forever

I just got in my replacement coil for the same ignition for a Remington I am rebuilding. You are fortunate the original Scintilla has not yet failed as the coils usually fell apart as on this Remington.

A cool ignition that was used for years in aircraft and outboards and the points and condensers last forever

So far so good on the coil although the outer shell has cracks its still ok i don't think this saw was apart since manufacturing. Here are a couple of other projects i also have a Mac 1-51 complete in the shed to clean and get running luckily i already had a 1-51 parts powerhead as well. The stihl 041 has rings on its way and carb kit. The Homie 54 is running great, the brake handle had a break in it so i am apoxying that. The Canadien 175 is awaiting crank nuts from NZ, i also order a replacement crank bucking spike and wood chip deflector for it.

Figures
the coil I bought is the larger style like yours so I am going to have to shorten the end laminations to make it fit the remmi.

Be very careful with the plug lead where it mounts to the coil as this is where they all fail and break the HT winding. I was going to rewind this old one and still may if I can find my magnet wire box which is......somewhere .......unless the scrap metal rats swiped it

Figures
the coil I bought is the larger style like yours so I am going to have to shorten the end laminations to make it fit the remmi.

Be very careful with the plug lead where it mounts to the coil as this is where they all fail and break the HT winding. I was going to rewind this old one and still may if I can find my magnet wire box which is......somewhere .......unless the scrap metal rats swiped it

Hey, if you find the right one than maybe i'd take that one off your hands seeing as its gonna give you nightmares, Lol.

No luck in the orphan piston box.

Can you get a shot of the inside of the cylinder so I can see the porting arrangement?

An 056 piston may be possible but I need to see where the transfers are in the cylinder as the 056 is a side transfer piston port and has open side skirts for the transfers where your reed engine uses full circle skirt.

This may not matter that much depending on where the transfers are located

The other issues may be total length of skirt and piston pin diameter but these can be modified to make it work if need be.

Can you get a shot of the inside of the cylinder so I can see the porting arrangement?

An 056 piston may be possible but I need to see where the transfers are in the cylinder as the 056 is a side transfer piston port and has open side skirts for the transfers where your reed engine uses full circle skirt.

The other issues may be total length of skirt and piston pin diameter but these can be modified to make it work if need be.

The Mall OMG cylinder has transfers on each side as your looking at the exhaust port and they are approx 1 & 1/2 inch in depth . I'm at work for the next twelve hours but will upload cylinder pics this afternoon. I do really appreciate all the effort and research you've done. I have degreased and removed all old paint, i will repaint it soon. I also emailed Helsel here on AS, Gypo logger told me, he just bought a large amount of Mall parts, so we will see. I am still very interested in the 056 piston possibilities as well, cause one never knows if Helsel has any OMG pistons ,or, be willing to part with anything. Thank Pest.

Last edited:

Pest, here are some pics of the Mall cylinder.

Unsure if this is the piston you may be after? How many moons later lol!

Attachments

• B6B0AE93-F603-4003-BDFF-E3D574C283CE.jpeg
    B6B0AE93-F603-4003-BDFF-E3D574C283CE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 681D4B2A-900B-415C-AEBF-BAA1067BC884.jpeg
    681D4B2A-900B-415C-AEBF-BAA1067BC884.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 7FDF4E7D-73C1-468E-BBBA-B88087ADF443.jpeg
    7FDF4E7D-73C1-468E-BBBA-B88087ADF443.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back