Maple near septic field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a 7" DBH silver maple growing within 15 feet of our septic leech field, and was told by the guy who pumps our tank that this probably isn't such a good idea. I checked online and sure enough, Silver and red maples are not recommended for this area due to the extensive and invasive roots...

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-617/426-617.html

While those two types fo maples should specifically be avoided, are there other types of maples that have less intrusive roots that might be more appropriate for this area? In particular I am thinking of Schwedler (sp?), but I'm open to any other possibilities too if they exist. But, I'd prefer having no tree over installing root barriers. Also, none of the trees listed as "better choices" at the above link interest me for that area. Thanks.

wysiwyg,
If that silver gets into a lateral pipe or a d-box, you could lose serious capacity of your system. Since you are good with acronyms ;) , you could sum up my opinion with "N.I.M.B.Y" (you know, not in my back yard, or front yard either.) Silvers do need either a big property, or one with all buried pipes well away.

While a. saccharum and the a. platanoides cv. you mentioned are probably not AS aggressive, they are still capable of invasion problems. Maybe a small scale maple like palmatum or japonicum might be better, but you would still have to weigh the risks. Would you be happy with perennials, grasses, forbs, and fibrous mat rooted shrubs over the system? Could be nice, giving either a plain lawn, perennial garden, or meadow effect. Maybe save yourself a headache.

Even though certain species are less invasive than others, one must keep in mind that all roots are opportunistic. Meaning that no matter how hard you try, the roots will grow where moisture is abundant and the soil structure is great......................therefore, any area that was excavated for a field or sewage line will be 'gravy' for the ever-seeking root tips! :D

Thanks for the replies. I plan on taking out the silver maple and not replacing it. It's been growing like a weed the past few years so I figure it's probably already reached the leach field. Most fo the field itself is within the lawn, and you can tell that the soil drains very well because that part of the lawn has never grown any better than the rest of the lawn. We also have an 8 foot tall cedar tree about 20 feet away on the east side, are cedars more or less intrusive than the maple?

Originally posted by wysiwyg
are cedars more or less intrusive than the maple?
Cedars are much less invasive. If you'r econcerned at all then prune the roots,
You got good advice about establishing other plants like grasses or perennials there; lawns are so boring and need mowing. Why not grow a prairie meadow?:blob2:

Latest posts

Back