Maple tree holocaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
begleytree said:
You get 2nd opinions about medical procedures, why should the care of your property value and/or trees be any different?
-Ralph

Yes, that's why I came here, to ask. Also, there's no city arborist here. This is a small village with less than 2,000 people.

" Really, I hate the ignorance of some homeowners."

And I'm not really wild about the lack of thoughtfulness shown by some treecudders :chainsaw: , but "hate" is too strong a word.

Tex asked for professional assessment, and fair warning from the town. husky, why do you say he's crying and whining? I agree with you that removal is the only abatement step for a tree with that much rot, but for other trees, other abatement is possible, right? Give trees mitigation, before you give trees death:

Armed with basic knowledge and their own experience and common sense, arborists can adapt the owner’s mindset on acceptable levels of risk and deliver a tree care program that mitigates risk while increasing the tree resource. In essence, Tree Risk Management and Plant Health Care are really the same thing. Monitoring and diagnosis take vigilance. Responding to tree health and safety issues requires action. It takes bravery for arborists and tree owners to accept that tree risk can't be managed by removal alone.

The words of Patrick Henry again apply to tree care: “We are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of Nature has placed in our power... the battle, sir, is not to the strong alone. It is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.” It's not tree-hugging; it's Patriotism.

Saving trees; it's the American Way!

Trivia

This is often a great site for advice.

Tex:
You had the correct size up from MMass within 12 hours of your post.
There is the possibility that the correct action in some extreme situations is to close the area or do an immediate removal. So even though standing law may preclude that in some areas, I would be afraid of a 24 hour notification as a hard and fast rule.

Trees in urban settings take work. Plant it, water it and mow around it are not enough. Research its replacement. What you plant is a big deal.

For instance there may now be a root rot in that soil that could infect the next tree there unless you go to a species that isn't susceptible to that rot.
I don't know that from this distance, but look into that possibility.

All the best

Ask an attorney to look over your property deed and see what the exact wording is concerning the easement the trees appear to be located on. Based on the advice of the attorney, you can then decide if legal action is warranted against all the parties involved in the removal of the tree. Maybe you can band together with other neighbors who feel as you do to split the costs involved in taking legal action.

It would appear that you as the property owner have some legal rights concerning things that could possibly affect your property's value, including the proper planning for the removal of trees and how that affects the other plantings on your property, among other things. It sounds like maybe it's high time your particular township learned that lesson the hard way by being on the receiving end of a summons.

Latest posts

Back