Marginal ignition module? Spark but no fire.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MervMaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a problem ms362 at work.

it gets fuel, carb is just cleaned, air filters clear. with an in-line spark tester I get spark.

Gapped the ignition module against the flywheel to .2mm according to the service manual

New spark plug, though it’s a bit wet now from pulling on the rope with no fire. Plug also gapped according to the manual.

The tricky part is that sometimes it starts.

When it does fire, It’ll run on full choke, or off choke on full throttle. As soon as I let go it dies and won’t restart. Carb is tuned stock.

I tested the ignition on a meter, and got 6.6m ohms primary, 2.03k ohms secondary.

Clean fuel, no shorts, all wiring clean and in place.

Maybe it’s off timing? I’ve never had such a frustrating time with a saw, even whole rebuilds have been less puzzling.

Anybody have any idea? I’m lost.

Thanks everyone.

Good compression?

I don’t have a compression tester here, but without the decomp pressed it’s a nice hard pull.

The air leak is possible I guess, though all my rubber is solid- it’s not as if it starts consistently and doesn’t stay running, it just doesn’t like to start at all.

Only way to know if your rubber is solid is a P- V test, that will rule out seals, hoses as well as everything else. I know it’s a pain, but your situation seems to point that way. :cool:
Blah. I’ll see if I can find a tester, my motor pool mechanic is on vacation.

Back