Masonary stove design with boiler (ideas)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpstone123

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here so sorry if this post doesn't fit or anything :) If it doesn't seem appropriate to this forum, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Just been wondering about stove designs lately (for home construction), specifically a masonary stove. I gathered that since it stores much of it's heat, I could use it to heat the house when the fire's gone out (stove would be in a dedicated room which vents the heat out to the house...kind of like a sunroom idea). I'd like to store most of the heat in a thermal store (probably somewhere in the region of 700-1000litres/150-220gallons).

At first I thought about an outdoor wood burner, but don't like the idea of losing much heat to the atmosphere, and wastage when demand isn't high (especially smoldering due to damping down etc).

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

I've seen various designs. A pretty unique design I've seen (e.g. for smokeless areas, in picture) puts the air intake at the TOP of the fire (rather than below), gasses are lead out the fuel grate THROUGH the fire (heating up gasses more) and then in the second chamber (which gets secondary heat from side of firebox) more air is introduced to ignight the gasses (more heat and less polution).

If secondary combustion of gasses in 2nd chamber is too complex, maybe 2 air intakes to firebox will be just as effective/easier (i.e.
air supplied below AND above) for more complete combustion? I'm not bothered about every last bit of efficiency (like 70% vs 60%), but I do want it to be better than most outdoor wood burner boilers (I believe is mostly due to demand not meeting the output, which = fire being damped down often)...something I hope is fixed via rappid burns, dry wood and thermal mass storage.

Main thoughts:

1) where should the flue/heat exchanger go?

2) where should the air intake(s) go? Should there be 2?

and following on...

3) should the heated up gasses have a secondary air intake for more complete combustion/heat? How does that work? (I'm assuming it's pretty complex and needs good control of air intake)

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 189843

Here in the us the stove has to be certified or insurance wont cover.

Back