Master of The Chainsaw carves a bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gumneck said:
Nice work. Tks for sharing.

Curious....would yellow pine work as well as the red pine?

Gumneck, I like any type of pine thats available. The reason being is pine gets lots of small cracks when it drys, where as other types of wood will get a couple large cracks, and if they're in the wrong place can really mess up a carving. Also pine cuts so much easier, especially a nice fresh green log.

Thats cool. Over on the coast just west of me there are lots of guys along the road that carve with redwood. Really neat stuff. Anyway, I have worked with fella's who I thought were carving a masterpiece - but they were actually trying to get their undercut out. After the tree was down the stump looked like a perfect carving of Hiroshima - you know - afterwards.

Vman said:
how is it using oak or maple?

I've carved in hardwood before......takes lots longer, as its harder cutting, also when it finally dries.... on big carvings .....they still weigh a ton. I do a lot of hardwood stumps in peoples yards, and have gotten some nice results. Really tough carving on a oak stump thats been there for a couple years.

Ditto, I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'd like to see more. You can tell when someone's good at something, they make it look so easy. I got a chuckle out of Rockys' joke too.

Really like the play by play. It would be cool to see vid clips of different stages...

I beleive my aptitude lies in making a perfectly carved bear look much like an ordinary log...

Chaser

Were you doing layout in your minds eye or basing it on the Golden Rectangle? I can't seem to get the proportions correct, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hah, I thanked someone for resurrecting this thread a year ago, and I thank you again. I'm really gonna bookmark it this time. Rocky's joke still made me chuckle. Wish I could rep him for it.

I'm retired brush crew, so I can cut holes in trees, fall them in crazy ways when they are dead, broken and on fire, but I can't even carve my name in one. No artistic talent at all. To see this type of work just amazes me. (I'll say it out loud, since he may not hear it).

great thread. I'm always amazed by sculptors. I just can't see things in 3D before they're done. It's one thing to sculpt in clay where you're adding on, but it's really impressive when people sculpt in wood where you have to take away. Great bear.

Latest posts

Back