Mastermind Ported Dolmar 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would almost sell my 262 back to him to get a 6100 but I'm not selling my Gransfors to him

The rev limiter kicks in a 13.9k. It never 4-strokes because it's leaning out at high rpm, which is why you can't tune it and why it revs like it does.

The purpose of strato is to delay the arrival of the fuel charge until just before the transfers close. If you imagine having that set up so the mixture is perfect and arrives just before the transfers close, and you somehow increase the rpm further, then the full charge will not get there in time and it will begin to lean. It doesn't matter how big the carb is or how rich you try to make it if the charge does not have time to get in there after waiting for the air to clear the transfers.

This particular saw has completely independent timing for the strato air intake and the fuel intake, so you could get them out of balance fairly easily.
You would never know if it 4-strokes if it does so above the rev limiter, which it likely is.

You would never know if it 4-strokes if it does so above the rev limiter, which it likely is.
4-stroking is just the carb producing a rich mixture with increasing rpm (air velocity). That is close to a squared function so it gets much richer with only a small increase in rpm. The rev limit is almost 2krpm higher than the running rpm, so if it isn't 4-stroking before the rev limit it's either because the mixture is set very lean or because something is counteracting the squared fuel mixture curve. That would be the effect I described where the fuel mixture through the case does not entirely get into the cylinder before the transfers close, leaning the mixture.

Note that if the mixture flowing through the case cannot get into the cylinder in time then the flow through the carb will not increase and it won't get rich and 4-stroke the same way. The air cannot accumulate in the case and pressurize it, so the flow will just not go up - a lot of the fuel/air charge from the previous revolution is still in there. The flow through the case that contains the fuel is being displaced by pure air through the strato inlet.

An alternative would be that the carb just can't flow enough fuel, but this is unlikely as it's a big carb and all of these carbs can flow plenty of fuel.

The problem is that there is no way to know what the high rpm fuel mixture is, as it's a balance of the squared fuel mixture effect of the carb and the delay of the flow to the cylinder. It might be getting just slightly richer or it may be getting leaner, and you'd need a dyno to figure that out - here the only thing that can be determined is that it doesn't 4-stroke. With a piston ported strato the timing of the two paths are at least coordinated, but not here.

Hopefully the fix is as simple.

OK Brad.......I drilled the seat from .024" to .034 (and was tempted to go further). I also drilled the main nozzle on thru like we do on the EL42. Now I can fatten it up and get it off the RPM limiter without any problem. In fact, drilling the main nozzle might not have been needed.

Latest posts

Back